I'd like a ram buddy, but probably shouldn't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love rams! Rounded out my 20 gallon community with a unplanned ram purchase 3-4 days ago. Couldn't help myself. They are awesome.

At the store he had lots of "buddies" (and probably a girlfriend) and had more color. He is totally active (think danio) and eating and all, but does not have as much color as he he did at the store.

I would love to get him a girl or a buddy, but think I might be going too far over stock if I do. I can wait until some other fish die off, but then the rams would be totally different sizes and ages.

So this is what I have:
20 gallon, several months old
20-40 advanced tetra filter, sponge + 2 cartridges
airstone
one anubias
moss ball
wc 25% weekly
temp 79 - 80

bristlenose pleco, I think female because she hasn't gotten very big
lyretail molly
fancy guppy
6 rummynose tetras, very red noses!
blue ram
msytery snail

Could I put another ram in? Could I do it if I did a larger sized water change each week? Or, should I just wait. Patience is not one of my vitues, but something I have learned from this hobby.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even if it was only two rams and no other fish, that tank would probably be too small. It's bordering on too small already. It's not just a water quality issue, there's also the matter of physical space and the ability to establish territories.
And if I may offer some unsolicited advice (ignore if I may not. Lol) more plants will help make the fish you already have more comfortable.

Next year I may get a 30 which will give me more space. Could I have two rams in that size?

I will work on plants. I like the anubias. I have had it for quite a while and kept it alive and nothing eats it. Even the snail. I might get more of those. My sister suggested the moss ball. Just got that this week (same day as the ram). Nothing special, but it is a live plant of sorts. Any other suggestions for live plants that won't get chowed on by the fish and snail I have?

Thanks!

I tend to err on the side of caution with tank sizes. I think thirty might be pushing it, but if you keep up on water quality and use a lot of plants, it might be alright.

Back
Top Bottom