ID my JD please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quite light coloured for a JD. They say the females can be lighter coloured but thats the only advice i can give really.

Unless it's stressed and thats the reason!

Ibe actually heard that if its lighter in color its in a more mellow mood but when it is darker thats when its mad. Im not sure if thats true ive never looked into it but thats just what ive heard.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely female. I've had my JD for 12 years the tell is all the spangles on the face. Males don't have that.
Female JD's are prettier IMO anyway.
And your right about the coloring. It shows way more when they're mad, that one does look a little paler than normal. But no paler than mine got during every water change.

Pale color means stressed out. Shiny vivid colors happy. Dark, blackened colors mean the fish is pissed.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398732500.257916.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398732518.032030.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398732604.704776.jpg

That is actually a male a nicely spangled one. Most will tell you female because it has spangles on the lower jaw which most males don't have. But this isn't always the case. Fin shape and spangles on the lower part of the body I would guess it is male. But to be 100% sure you should vent.

It is light do to stress darker colors come with dominance and aggression.

Does the sharp angle on the dorsal fin indicate male and round indicate female?

I'm getting a few Dempseys from a guy who breed them. I'll keep them in a 90g tank by themselves with a female EBJD.
(y)

I breed dempseys and there is nothing wrong with them fish. JDs are a fish that change colour all the time. They tend to go darker when active or defensive. When they have fry they get really dark. Dim light will settle them down if you think they are stressed. Stunning fish tho. This is my female with the male just behind. She is EBJJD so trying for electrics. So far just a number of nice JDS with lots of blue.

Attachments

• 1399330378616.jpg
    1399330378616.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 89
Some nice Dempseys on this thread.

I have 1 Electric Blue >5", 1 Standard 2" (superb colours already), and 1 Rocio Octal 1.5". They'll all be in seperate tanks in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom