ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope this works :/

I'm stumped lol to me it looks like a peacock but I'm not 100% on that. Are all 3 of them the same?

Hi I'm from Australia and am new to keeping fish. I have a 3ft 380lt tank with 7 African cichlids at the moment. I would really like to get a better understanding of the fish I have as I am unsure of the exact species of 3 of my cichlids so I can provide the best environment and tank mates for them all.
I know I have 1. Cyrtocara moorii. 1 yellow lab. 1. Neo Tret. 1. Catfish. The other 3 I believe are OB peacocks but I'm really not sure.
Any advice or help to find out their true name would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Well I can tell you a couple things
One being a 3' tank isn't big enough for your fish imo. The starting point is a 4' tank, but most haps should be in a 6' tank.

I believe a neo is a tanganyika cichlid and they really shouldn't be with the Malawi Cichlids. Problems may arise in the future just to give ya a little heads up.

What catfish do you have?

Looks like a electric blue cichlid with no color here's mine

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130107_165227.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130107_165227.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 74
I'm stumped lol to me it looks like a peacock but I'm not 100% on that. Are all 3 of them the same?

Well I can tell you a couple things
One being a 3' tank isn't big enough for your fish imo. The starting point is a 4' tank, but most haps should be in a 6' tank.

I believe a neo is a tanganyika cichlid and they really shouldn't be with the Malawi Cichlids. Problems may arise in the future just to give ya a little heads up.

What catfish do you have?

The other 2 are a dull orange with black splotches mate about the same size tho. Ill send pics of them both along withe the catfish as I am not sure of its exact species either.
I appreciate all your advice and will soon be upgrading to a 4footer.
The neo is a lot smaller than all the other fish and is very aggressive and territorial. I was only going on the judgement of the aquarium store I bought my tank and fish from but since then I have researched the African cichlids and agree with you. Thanks again.
Any suggestions for tank mates would be appreciated as I really do want the best for all my fish :)

The neo and moorii should be removed from the others. The yellow lab and the peacocks ( if they are peacocks) should do just fine together. If it was me I'd look into getting a few more peacocks or more labs and some other peaceful- mild aggressive mbuna and call it stocked.

When trying to get info about fish type their name out and then put profile. That should bring up a profile about your fish giving size and what aggressiveness they are. In a 4' tank you should try and stay under 5" imo for a full grown mbuna.

I hope I didn't overwhelm ya here :) and I hope you figure out what all ya have

Last edited:
image-1884176155.jpg

image-2604308933.jpg

Catfish

image-3033349273.jpg

Neo

image-83021921.jpg

Unsure?

image-1275423901.jpg

Moorii?

How are u guy and yea give it more time to color up hopefully u can tell then nice fish by the way.

How are u guy and yea give it more time to color up hopefully u can tell then nice fish by the way.

Thanks mate. Really appreciate the help. Will let you guys know when I find out exactly what it is. Really is a nice looking fish.

Your tank looks nice
The yellow one is for sure a Ob peacock
The catfish looks to be Synodontis Multipunctatus

Thanks Andrew. I'm pretty sure the aquarium store said it was a synodontis as well. I have written down all the scientific names and can start to manage the tank properly. :)

Back
Top Bottom