ID please, Golden Angel Veil Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sambo7475

Aquarium Advice Freak
These guys were at my lfs, I bought them, because I've been wanting to get some rams now that my big tank is a year old. I love the way they look, and he said they would only get to about 1.5-2"
I've never seen them before, and can't find much about them with google. Anyone know what they're called? The LFS owner (with whom I've done a lot of business and trust him) had them labeled as golden angel veil rams.
Anyone have more information for me?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 158
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 150
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 197
Yes they are ballon gold rams. The ballon body shape is a genetic mutation. And so is the gold coloration. Essentially the same care as a regular mikrogeophagus ramirezi. Though the balloons seem to be way more sensitive than regular bodied rams

thanks for the quick reply, folks!
I figured they were some type of mutation, but I think they are remarkable. They've adjusted well to my tank, so we'll see how they do.
Thanks again!
Sam

Is it like a balloon molly's?
I have been told (by a chain store) that they don't live as long because of this. Is that true?

It's a mutation that's the same as balloon mollys. Basically their spines are just super curved, so they don't like as long.

thanks for all the info everyone. I'm sorry to say, the dojo loach killed them. I lost 2 the second night I had them, and couldn't see anything wrong with them. I thought it was due to water chemistry/stress or something like that. Last night, I watched the dojo loach circle the remaining one for a couple of minutes, then he went across the tank, came shooting back at him full speed, and rammed him. He died before I could net him out.
I've never heard of this before! I'm so sad about the little guys. Anyone else ever hear of this? I've heard dojos can be territorial, and the rams had set up house somewhat near to the ornament that the dojo loach hangs out at, but dang!

Back
Top Bottom