ID: Ruby Red Peacock??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I just picked up a Ruby Red Cichlid and it looks nothing like what I see on Google.. The guy said it's dark because it was getting picked on by others in the tank and also that it's female. I'm looking around and can't find too much about it so I thought I'd ask here and maybe someone can let me know if indeed it is a Ruby Red, or if not what it is?

I can try to get another picture if you need a better one but this is the best I could manage so far..
Mv4d4II.jpg

image-2491739690.jpg This is a juvenile ruby red, I'm no expert on peacocks, so I can't confirm if it is or isn't, just thought this might help

Actually, I personally would say it's not, but I'm not sure what it could be, obviously some aulonocara species though

Hm, okay thanks guys. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow when the lights are on hopefully that will help. If it were a lwanda that would be so cool they are really nice, but mine isn't that small I don't think, it's about 2.5-3 inches maybe..

Hard to say peacock IMO r finicky with there colors since mines smaller and less dominant he's not as colorful

If it's already pushing 3" and not showing colors, I'd say you probably have a female, although some males are late bloomers.

I read about aulonocara on this site that the line on the top of the dorsal fin means that is must be a male and no females have that. Do you know if that's true??

Since I got him he seems to be a little more confident chasing some of the other fish in the tank so maybe he'll colour up in the near future.. :)

It states that a white marginal line on the op dorsal fin points to a male. Yours has a yellow line. More than likely you have a female...

Back
Top Bottom