ID some tiny cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatatonicBug

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just visited a LFS for the first time, and they had a nice selection of fish. One tank had a label "assorted cichlids - $3.98"! They are so cute, and only 3/4" long at this point. I believe the yellow one is a yellow lab, but I don't know about the other 2. One is a bit blue-er than the other, but they both seemed to like hiding under one of the rocks in the sand. Can anyone ID these guys? Sorry for the bad image quality - it was my cell camera, and the best I could get with such quick-moving fish.

Attachments

• IMAGE_003.jpg
    IMAGE_003.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAGE_010.jpg
    IMAGE_010.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAGE_014.jpg
    IMAGE_014.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 55
Is it possible that they are the same species, but one is brighter blue than the other? I am so tempted to pick them all up! They are just so cute! I need some real color in my 47g, as all I have are red tetras and a Sevrum. That yellow would really add a new level of color... Do you think I woud have to worry about the sevrum going after these guys? He leaves the tetras alone, and doesn't seem to bother anything that moves out of his way.

i dont know a whole lot about FW, but those look like itd be worth setting up a seperate tank for at 4 bucks each. the yellow is real nice.

Those are African Mbuna and I don't suggest keeping them in a community tank. :)

They need a dedicated African tank and a 4ft tank is usually best because of their aggression.

I wouldn't throw those in with tetras, thats just asking for trouble. I have never kept cichlids before but I know they are very aggressive and love to nip, especially the yellow lab. My 4"+ syno eupterus can barely handle the yellow lab.

Yes blue stripped ones look like Kenyi and the yellow might be an Electric Yellow. As JustOneMore20 mentioned they need to be kept in a 4ft tank at least 55gal (or larger) and in a group of probably 10 -15 in that size tank.

i have the exact same cichlids! same color and size. i have them in a tank with 3 feeder guppies and they dont touch the guppies for some reason. i bet they will when they get bigger.

the LFS lady said they were african mbuna when i got them.

BTW i paid 2.99 lol

Well, when I went back the next day, they were all gone. So, I picked up 2 slightly larger Yellow Labs instead. After doing some reasearch, I read that Yellow Labs are relatively docile, and tend not to mess too much with other fish. Of course, each fish is different, and I figure that since the Tetras are known for being nippy, and my Sevrum is basically big enough to eat the labs if he wanted to, I'm safe for now. I will watch the aggression, and see what happens.

I don't recommend adding labs to a community tank. Labs are pretty docile alright, for Africans. They are in their own league.

....After doing some reasearch, I read that Yellow Labs are relatively docile, and tend not to mess too much with other fish...I will watch the aggression, and see what happens.

"Relatively docile" in comparison to other types of mbunas, and when regarding aggression directed toward other mbuna species. Against their own kind (or even other labidochromis species) it can be a different matter.

When fully matured, I'm not certain how they will treat the other fish you have in the tank. If your two are both males expect some fights:
YouTube - Little Yellow labs battle

Those are 2.5" males in the video. They max out at about 4" or 5".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom