ID this cichlid, please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it's a devil either. The red streak along the dorsal/anal fins throw me off. It's still such a young fish and devils come in a million different color morphs it wouldn't surprise me if it was. But it would not be my first guess. It would help to actually know the size of the fish for somewhat of a age comparison.

All I know is if you have a community tank and want to keep it peaceful having a unknown SA/CA
cichlid is not in the best interest.

Don't worry. I won't be keeping it unless I can positively ID it as an appropriate fish. I think I'm going to take it back today and see if I can get a satisfactory answer.

If you got it from a petco or a pets art or a big chain like that my guess is it's a hybrid. They often pass off hybrids as full species. They don't even know what they are getting in. It's a beautiful fish however.

I work at a LFS and sometimes we get in Red Devils that look similar... Or Red Texas...

I knew it was a matter of time till HUKIT popped in :) the only thing that's weird though is that lateral stripe...is that normal?

Well, it's definitely got to go back, then. I don't want to take any chances of the new fish munching on any current or future fish. Hopefully, I can find my Bolivian Rams. The closest fish specialty store is not very close. I may just have to wait a while.

Did I do better this time?

Attachments

• image-730560154.jpg
    image-730560154.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2477444549.jpg
    image-2477444549.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1974460501.jpg
    image-1974460501.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 77
I really did like the Red Devil. If I had room, I would have bought him his own home. He definitely had a personality. He'd already taken up residence in the fake tree stump.

Ok at first glance i was thinking a jag with red devil and rainbow cichlid colors that was somehow related to a salvini and FM. Maybe thats just me ;)

Km84 said:
If you got it from a petco or a pets art or a big chain like that my guess is it's a hybrid. They often pass off hybrids as full species. They don't even know what they are getting in. It's a beautiful fish however.

Most likley a hybrid, most pet shops like to sell them asap because (at least in my area) they are considered pests and they are unwanted and aparently ruin the fish industry. My lfs tells me that hybrid cichlids will eventually take over and the 'pure bred' cichlids will be more and more difficult to find.....i personally find this a little extreme but back to the point. Could be a devil mixed with something... Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom