ID this cichlid, please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jacobsal91 said:
Most likley a hybrid, most pet shops like to sell them asap because (at least in my area) they are considered pests and they are unwanted and aparently ruin the fish industry. My lfs tells me that hybrid cichlids will eventually take over and the 'pure bred' cichlids will be more and more difficult to find.....i personally find this a little extreme but back to the point. Could be a devil mixed with something... Hmmm

True red devils, cichlasoma labiatus, are incredibly hard to find. They are typically hybrids between red devils and Midas cichlids nowadays. So what your LFS said is NOT an extreme, but being realistic. While this in fact a "red devil", notice the lack of greatly pronounced lips, a key characteristic of wild red devils. This points to being a hybrid

I'm sure you're all right about the hybrid. It was a big box store, not a specialty store. Regardless, although it was neat, it wasn't appropriate to my tank. My ram is pretty cool, but the RD/hybrid seemed to have a real personality. I wonder if this is related to its being more aggressive. Do aggressive fish have more personality than community fish? I've never had an aggressive species in my tanks before.

True red devils, cichlasoma labiatus, are incredibly hard to find. They are typically hybrids between red devils and Midas cichlids nowadays. So what your LFS said is NOT an extreme, but being realistic. While this in fact a "red devil", notice the lack of greatly pronounced lips, a key characteristic of wild red devils. This points to being a hybrid

While your right about the majority of them are a mix of fish, the amphilophus labiatus/citrinellus are not in cichlasoma and have not been in that genus for some time now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom