ID this Frontosa please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161

So it's not a special "breed?"

Thanks!

If by special breed you mean a 7 stripe (C. Gibberosa) then no. These are the original 6 stripe (C. frontosa). If you got them from a good breeder then you may be able to trace back to which origin of the lake it was collected from. I may be wrong here but I believe there are (including 7stripes) 34 different frontosa "regions" which is part of the reason why frontosa can be so pricey because of the better the bloodline and more trackable the more valuable.

Your frontosa's are the burundi-variant.

There are two major geographic groupings of frontosa (the northern types and southern types).

Each of these grouping are comprised of sub-groups (for example, the northern types are the burundi's and kigomas; the southern sub-groups (the Gibberosa's) are the zambian, tanzanian and zaire sub-groups). The kigoma's and boulomboro's are 7-stripe variants. All of the others have 6 stripes.

Within each of the above sub-group are the variants (for example, the mpimbwe-variant is within the tanzanian group, moba's are within the zaire group, etc).

Your frontosa's are the burundi-variant.

There are two major geographic groupings of frontosa (the northern types and southern types).

Each of these grouping are comprised of sub-groups (for example, the northern types are the burundi's and kigomas; the southern sub-groups (the Gibberosa's) are the zambian, tanzanian and zaire sub-groups). The kigoma's and boulomboro's are 7-stripe variants. All of the others have 6 stripes.

Within each of the above sub-group are the variants (for example, the mpimbwe-variant is within the tanzanian group, moba's are within the zaire group, etc).

Thank you very much!!

You can get a variant chart. Just google frontosa variant chart. I have it saved to my pc and maybe my phone lol

Back
Top Bottom