ID this little guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to inform you but the photo's that you posted are not Cobalt Blue Zebra's, not even close.
then what are you calling my fish? as far as i was told by multiple shops CBZ have stripes, and what i have is a cbz. i have had 3 and they were all from diff lfs (2 were very knowledgeable) and were similar and sold as a cbz!

i agree about kenyi lineage, thats for sure.
however please inform me what you id my fish as.

kay-bee19 said:
Young kenyi or hybrid with evident kenyi lineage.

(Cobalts don't have vertical stripes and can be rule out).

To say cobalt blue zebras don't have vertical stripes is absolute nonsense .
If you google cobalt blue zebra you will see this.There are strains of cbz's that are solid blue but the clue is in the name "ZEBRA" as in striped.

the research i've done shows plenty of striped cbz's .. i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure they exist lol

& my little 'kenyi-mix' seems to have the same facial shape as one of Mouthy's cbz's .. she's got some wild tiger striping though

CraigMac said:
I went back to the LFS and asked. They said it is a young Kenyi and it may change color when it matures.

That brings up another question, does anyone know if there is a app for tracking your fish? It would be nice to keep track of all fish, what they are, what sex, pics, etc. do anything exist?

Try aquaplanner. It's pretty awesome, they are missing some.fish but they add new ones all the time.

Bully405Customz said:
Try aquaplanner. It's pretty awesome, they are missing some.fish but they add new ones all the time.

Actually, alls you gotta do is say pick any fish, and ten you can go in and edit all the info for it.

So I'll like pick "Acei Cichlid" and then I'll go thru and rename it all and edit the info to match say my Flameback

To say cobalt blue zebras don't have vertical stripes is absolute nonsense...If you google cobalt blue zebra you will see this.There are strains of cbz's that are solid blue but the clue is in the name "ZEBRA" as in striped.

the research i've done shows plenty of striped cbz's

I ran a Google Image search and it appears that any image associated with the phrase "cobalt blue zebra" is listed as a search result, whether it shows an actual CBZ or not (image results included many solid blue CBZ's as well as lot of non-CBZ's such as demasoni's other zebra species, and even some haps and peacocks!, now that's nonsense). Some old photos of mine were among the search results were of ared zebra, and a demasoni with some yellow labs.

"ZEBRA's" are named as such because the very first discovered specimens were of the striped variety. At one time classified as "Pseudotropheus zebra". They were since catergorized various species within the Metriaclima (or alternatively, Mayandia) genus and members of the this genus are grouped into the 'zebra complex' of mbuna's whether they are striped or not.

According to Ad Konings on his cichlidpress.com website, there are at least 20 variants of M. callainos and there's a photo of each of the variants and all of the m. callainos variants are either solidy colored (not necessarily blue) or blotched, none are striped.

For additional reference:
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
Metriaclima callainos
Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos
Maylandia callainos

then what are you calling my fish? as far as i was told by multiple shops CBZ have stripes, and what i have is a cbz. i have had 3 and they were all from diff lfs (2 were very knowledgeable) and were similar and sold as a cbz!

To be honest I am not able to discern what your fish (View attachment 66102 and View attachment 66103 ) are. They're definately nice looking fish especially the second one, only just not CBZ's. If the experts at LFS's told you that's what they are then their knowledge has to questionable.

kay-bee19 said:
I ran a Google Image search and it appears that any image associated with the phrase "cobalt blue zebra" is listed as a search result, whether it shows an actual CBZ or not (image results included many solid blue CBZ's as well as lot of non-CBZ's such as demasoni's other zebra species, and even some haps and peacocks!, now that's nonsense). Some old photos of mine were among the search results were of ared zebra, and a demasoni with some yellow labs.

"ZEBRA's" are named as such because the very first discovered specimens were of the striped variety. At one time classified as "Pseudotropheus zebra". They were since catergorized various species within the Metriaclima (or alternatively, Mayandia) genus and members of the this genus are grouped into the 'zebra complex' of mbuna's whether they are striped or not.

According to Ad Konings on his cichlidpress.com website, there are at least 20 variants of M. callainos and there's a photo of each of the variants and all of the m. callainos variants are either solidy colored (not necessarily blue) or blotched, none are striped.

For additional reference:
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
Metriaclima callainos
Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos
Maylandia callainos

Whilst I agree MBF's fish are not cbz's I owned 2 cbz's (not any more I am searching for pics) they had very faint vertical stripes so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom