ID this little guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry for the bad pic but can anyone id the little guy at the top of this picture?

Attachments

• image-580648915.jpg
    image-580648915.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 124
And the bad picture doesnt make it easy! I may have to try to get a better picture but I took like 20 and that was the best of the bunch!

Is a Badis an African cichlid? I got this guy in an "assorted African" tank with yellow labs and others.

my immediate thought was very young cobalt blue zebra or kenyi, i think more kenyi. my mbuna fry have that shape and i think this is what u have x

Young kenyi or hybrid with evident kenyi lineage.

(Cobalts don't have vertical stripes and can be rule out).

excuse me - male cobalt blue zebras almost always have stripes. every cobalt i have had has had stripes, even the females but theirs were light. sorry but i didnt mean the powder blue cichlid u thought of. the stripes of a CBZ are about 7-8 bars, so i thought since this fish had so many stripes that would be a strong option.

Photo0146.jpg
this is a cbz from a batch with a bunch of norm RZ and a couple of OBs. it is orange in this pic but has since turned a gorgeous blue colour with stronger stripes.
and here is my prev cbz, but his bars were much lighter than usual so i apologise x
Photo0158.jpg

I went back to the LFS and asked. They said it is a young Kenyi and it may change color when it matures.

That brings up another question, does anyone know if there is a app for tracking your fish? It would be nice to keep track of all fish, what they are, what sex, pics, etc. do anything exist?

CraigMac said:
I went back to the LFS and asked. They said it is a young Kenyi and it may change color when it matures.

That brings up another question, does anyone know if there is a app for tracking your fish? It would be nice to keep track of all fish, what they are, what sex, pics, etc. do anything exist?

yeah, male kenyi get yellowish & females stay blue (except females can change color when breeding.. i think? lol)

what type of store did you get them from? a petco type deal or a legit fish shop? - some places mislabel their tanks & have unknowledgable staff

as far as apps, i'm gonna look right now

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
to me that fish looks like the perfect CBZ x kenyi. but there you go ha i cant find the id of a pure species to match! x

& mouthy, do you mean mine? or craigymac's? or both? lol

i didnt think mine was pure kenyi because of the striping, even though it was in the kenyi tank at my lfs ;)

yeah i think both are hybrids, but i am not sure. its just i have never seen a kenyi with so many stripes and the head is a bit off-shaped imo x

I got mine from a legit fish store, not a chain, a family owned LFS. They had a tank of various juvenile Africans and that's where I got him along with yellow labs and blue johani. Went back and was told he's a Kenyi but I could see it being a hybrid.

excuse me - male cobalt blue zebras almost always have stripes...

That is incorrect. Cobalt Blue Zebra's are solid blue, with males being more vibrant than the females (which may be slightly grayish):

img_1698666_0_68c81b55ab9373e73ce2c9fce7e62f61.jpg

img_1698666_1_d8d59bf1637f353178873c49fbd5876e.jpg

...every cobalt i have had has had stripes...

Then they weren't cobalt blue zebras. To make sure we're talking about the same species I'm specifically referring to Metriclima callainos/Mayandia callainos. The description of CBZ's on LiveAquaria's page is incorrect. At one time the photo was incorrect as well; it used to depict a picture of a red top zebra looking fish. They revised the photo but not the write up.

......i didnt mean the powder blue cichlid u thought of...

I wasn't thinking of the powder blue cichlid (better known as the Pseudotropheus socolofi or Powder Blue Socolofi). I keep both species, here are the two side by side (there's no mistaking the two):

Cobalt Zebra (top left) & Powder Blue (bottom right)
img_1698666_2_3abecaa58ea60a04a20b3ca29d52b1cb.jpg

...this is a cbz from a batch with a bunch of norm RZ and a couple of OBs. it is orange in this pic but has since turned a gorgeous blue colour with stronger stripes...and here is my prev cbz

Sorry to inform you but the photo's that you posted are not Cobalt Blue Zebra's, not even close.

Ronniroach, as with Craigmac, your fish is a kenyi or has kenyi lineage.

Back
Top Bottom