ID with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
Kenyi, or lab, or hybrid please help I have been told a million things

Sorry for the quality hope you can tell the difference

8wa0rr.jpg

23jipom.jpg

a169vp.jpg

here(above) the blue is actually a light blue. When I got it is was a dark purple like below and barley could see bars. It changes color all the time and even its bar patterns change. Did I get lucky and get a pair of kenyi? Or still too early to tell, or neither lol

This is not my fish( the purple/dark one below), but the color when I got her/him. This is supposed to be a Kenyi but more of what MINE looked liked when I got it

img_1183879_3_328c4ae110b0d53f19c94dbfa7be46ef.jpg

RIGHT NOW my blue below is almost white/pink/Silver. her fins are still electric blue like. The body changes color all day and so does its bar pattern. Is normal for bar pattern to change? Usually has bars, but when its this light it don't. Sometimes they aint even straight bars if that makes sense

img_1183879_4_2b7483bf5f7891252cbebd48cca83c91.jpg

img_1183879_5_a9021cbe2bb612577c86dea785a17305.jpg

And here is my yellow today (below)
img_1183879_6_b608bf22958fdddbb2ecb56c79ce8331.jpg

Yesterday with bars(below)

img_1183879_7_0c25c83a2b318a315020ece3470a309c.jpg

How Can you tell a lab from a kenyi? And I have been told the yellow one is a lab and a kenyi and been told the blue is a kenyi and a powder blue scolofi and a hybrid and a few other things.. Thanks in advance

I have came to a conclusion I just went and got 3 more labs and 4 Acei Cichlids. Like the blue one that no1 can ID for me they Aceis turn from dark to light also, but only in certain parts of the aquarium. I have a gravel pattern in my tank where it goes blue white blue white. 5lbs of white, 5lbs of blue repeat across the tank. Im thinking they are tryin to blend in with the rocks? You can watch them change from light to dark in a matter of seconds, or its around certain fish, or just perhaps they are still young and or in a new tank, but the blue one Im tryin to ID went frm a Dark purple and now stays light, but when I FIRST added the Acei Cichlids it turned dark.. Pretty interesting

I don't see a whole lot of places where you fish can hide. Mine love all the caves I created using river rocks. Also, they love to dig in the sand and move it around.

Yea I know. Im going to redo my tank. I didnt know what I was doing when I did this. Gonna put lot of caves and plants in there. And sand substrate

Yea I know. Im going to redo my tank. I didnt know what I was doing when I did this. Gonna put lot of caves and plants in there. And sand substrate

If you plant, plants lots and keep your fingers crossed - the Africans will generally uproot and consume anything green you put in the tank IME. Especially when they get bigger.

What size tank are they in? Looks fairly small from the pic
s. Mbuna need at least a 4ft tank with much more rock work.

Your blue fish looks like an albino Pseudotropheus socolofi. Your yellow fish looks like a Yellow Lab...the barring is from stress.

Jramatized said:
How Can you tell a lab from a kenyi? And I have been told the yellow one is a lab and a kenyi and been told the blue is a kenyi and a powder blue scolofi and a hybrid and a few other things.

The bars on a Kenyi are wider and extend from the dorsal fin and they shouldn't have the black stripe on the dorsal (top) fin. Yellow Labs have a more pointed face as well.

Last edited:
The barring is too narrow for a Metriaclima lombardoi
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
Look through the photos on this profile.

Pseudotropheus socolofi - check out these links is your fish like any of these?
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
Not all socolofi have the all the black markings
Malawi Dream - Pseudotropheus socolofi Tumbi Point

Malawi Dream - Pseudotropheus socolofi Mara Point

If I had to pick I would say the first one here
Malawi Dream - Pseudotropheus socolofi Mara Point

only with bars sometimes, but I have also seen it be dark purple

Back
Top Bottom