Idea for 75G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qozux

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I'm brand new to the forums and I joined because I'm interested in setting up a Cichlid tank. I plan to get a 75G for Christmas and here's my stocking idea. This is also the order in which I am thinking of introducing the fish. I chose this order because my impression is that I should go least-most aggressive/dangerous and I think this is the right order.

First I would do a nice long cycle using media from my est. tropical 10G and set up a sand substrate, some floating plants, and a couple decorations (I was planning to introduce a new decoration and rearrange the tank each time I add a new fish).
-Starting with a school of about 6 Tiger Barbs and 2 SAE. (totally open to changing to another algae eater or cat if it's better)
-Adding a Ruby Shark.
-putting in a m/f pair of Convicts
-female Jack Dempsey
-female Green Terror (thinking females so they're smaller, but I may be wrong about this, I'd go male if the size isn't too different and they're prettier. Same with JD)

Final stocking:
6+ Tiger Barbs
2 Algae eaters
1 Ruby Shark
2 Cons (breeding pair)
1 JD
1 GT

I'm thinking 2weeks to a month between each new addition to provide enough time to settle the bio load but not so much that territory is irrevocably established.
I am also planning to get a 20-30G tank to use for "time-outs" or if 1 of the fish is just too aggressive for the others

Finally, 75G is just my minimum. I'd much rather get a 125 or bigger to give me room to grow and add more.

:thanks: so much in advance for your help.

If the size is ok, maybe 125 or bigger, i'd love to add an RES as well. I don't even know if this is possible or not.

bump, just looking for ideas from more experienced people. Willing to keep Africans in the tank instead of New World if it's better.

bump, just looking for ideas from more experienced people. Willing to keep Africans in the tank instead of New World if it's better.

Keep whatever you are interested. I'm not much help on new worlds unless their dwarfs but jd get big but a 75 is good size I'm not sure about your tank mates. Also convicts can be a bit feisty

Convicts are wayy too aggressive. In my 150 my convicts chased my barracudas and Bala sharks. They hate other fish. Avoid the convicts... They're only good if you want to breed them, do that in a diff tank cause it makes them even more aggressive when babies are on the way/present

Get some leopard ctenopomas

Best fish I've ever owned

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here you go. Green Terrors need 55 gallons, JD needs a 55. 2 Cons, especially breeding, need a tank to themselves, that would be at least 40 gallons. Stick to one algae eater, maybe a bristlenose pleco.

Stocking Idea:

Choose One:
JD
GT

And then, 6 tiger barbs, 1 Pleco. One convict.

GT's get really nasty so you need to factor that in, Convicts need there own tank when breeding the aggression is to high for the value they offer IMO so I am a little biased against them.

My opinion is

JD or GT and you are ok with the following.

6-10 Tiger Barbs
2 Algae eaters
1 Ruby Shark

or

You could try 1 GT, 1 JD and tiger barbs with nothing else let them grow together and it might work (barbs might get picked off as the GT and JD grow). others have made it work its just not recommended.

Algae eaters are not necessary for keeping a tank clean. Most create a heavy bio load increasing Algae. Water changes are more important in fighting algae growth. Don't feel you need an alga eater.

PS when adding JD and GT together you have to add them as juvies and you wont be able to sex them at that age.

Rivers not true. He can add one later. It doesn't give them any better chances surviving by adding them at the same time. Also I would NOT add a GT and a JD in a 75. That is too small. Almost like two oscars ina 75.

Here's another thought:
GT
JD
Tiger Barb school
Ruby Shark
Clown Loach
Black Ghost knife

All in a 5' 125G

eh?

I'd be adding the JD and GT last and as juvies.

I know the BGKs are tough to keep because of their size, but all the compatibility things I've seen tell me that nothing should really mess with them.

Rivers not true. He can add one later. It doesn't give them any better chances surviving by adding them at the same time. Also I would NOT add a GT and a JD in a 75. That is too small. Almost like two oscars ina 75.

Actually it is true. Adding an aggressive fish in a small space with another aggressive fish with an established territory has less of a chance of working than adding two fish as juvies at the same time. That rule goes for most aggressive fish.

That being said I wouldn't put them in a 75 together either. But adding them at the same has worked for people.

I agree no Ghost knife and NO Clown Loach. Clown Loaches get way to big and need to be in a school of at least 3 should be more.

I agree no Ghost knife and NO Clown Loach. Clown Loaches get way to big and need to be in a school of at least 3 should be more.

So what would be the best algae eater for me? I want to make sure whatever it is doesn't get bullied, wouldn't a 4" BN be picked on by a GT?
And I'm still trying to figure out what would be the issue with the Ghost Knife.

So what would be the best algae eater for me? I want to make sure whatever it is doesn't get bullied, wouldn't a 4" BN be picked on by a GT?
And I'm still trying to figure out what would be the issue with the Ghost Knife.

GT will tear up the Ghost knife, BGK are blind and pretty much defenseless. BGK go with peaceful fish to big for them to swallow.

A common pleco would be good but will eventually (in a few years) out grow the 75. I don't know anything about Bushy nose.

I should say bottom feeder instead of algae eater. I can clean my own algae, I just really like the extra dimension that a bottom feeder adds to a tank. My Corys in my 10G are so fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom