Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
Ideas for a new 42G Tank

Hi All,
I've recently broken down my 42G marine tank in favour for a smaller 30G marine tank, which means I have a 42G spare and want to start a new project! I have taken a step back from saltwater land and I'm looking to start a new journey in the cichlid world.

I haven't kept cichlids before so this will be a new experience for me.

Feel free to live your new tank project through me

I'll start a new journey/build thread when I have a better idea of what the tank will consist of.

I need to work out:
- Landscaping
- Do I want this as an active breeding tank?
- What types of cichlids work well and what types don't.

I have a rough idea of what I want the tank to look like.
I want a white sand substrate, black background and a whole lot of driftwood and stone for decor.

In regards to cichlids I want: plenty of colour, personality, ease of breeding and care, a peaceful nature - basically something that I can still admire in contrast to a marine tank.

(I'm not asking for much am I )

I look forward to your ideas and info and more than happy for you to post shots for inspiration!

Watch this space.

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In a 42g I would stick with Ram's, Apisto's, Angel's, or Kribs, something that stays relatively small. There's also some fish from Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika that will work but there's a little more aggression issues involved. Planted tanks are great as well, so maybe it's something to look into since you may already have a nice light fixture.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com