Ideas for stocking newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk1mom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon that has been up and running for 6 weeks. I currently have a yellow lab, strawberry peacock and a frontosa. Anyone have any ideas of of what else I can add. I'm completely open to ideas.

What strikes your fancy? Most cichlids live in large groups in the wild, especially Rift Lake cichlids, and prefer the company of their own kind, so to begin with, I would add a couple more L. caeruleus and a couple more A. sp. (I'm assuming that by Strawberry peacock, you are referring to Dragon's Blood peacock). I would probably rehome the Frontosa also. The 55g will be far too small, as Frontosa get fairly large, prefer to be in groups, and are also from a different lake with different requirements than your Malawi cichlids. THen, with a 55g, you could choose 1 more Malawi species. You could go with an all male tank for color, or a 1m/3f ratio if you want to breed them. You could also add a couple small Synodontus catfish to the tank if you wanted. There are more species than I can mention, but 2 popular species are S. multipunctatus (Cuckoo catfish) and S. cf_polli. Both are active, interesting fish.

Back
Top Bottom