Ideas to make my tank better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest how I can make my tank better. It's a 35 or 40 gal hexagon tank with one plant (anubias) some large rocks, pool filter sand substrate and an orange cichlid. There is also a mystery snail and some Malaysian trumpet snails. I have a fluval HOB filter (the 50 gallon one) and I'm going to get a small circulation power head to make more flow at the bottom of the tank. I think I need to upgrade my light to an LED light. The fish's name is Klaus. And he is a loner. I don't want to add more fish because I don't want him to fight with them. I'd post a picture but I think I have to do it from my internet browser and not the app. So maybe I can post a photo soon.

Ugh.. sorry but this is all wrong. It looks to be a stressed out African cichild. This really isn't the setup for em.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree. Hex tanks are neat to look at but not easiest to stock. Even though the gallons are there its because they are tall. There footprint is small.

I think you need to reconsider how you are stocking the tank. This is not the layout a cichlid will thrive in. Maybe a big shrimp and tetra tank is the way to go??

I agree the tank doesn't fit the fish. The cichlids need lateral room to swim back and forth.

IF you decide to keep cichlids in this tank, a short lump if rocks isn't going to do.
If it were my tank, I'd look at tall plants (plastic plants would do fine) then build up rocks/caves/pots to surround the plants. You can build a nice center piece using aquarium sealant to build higher without danger of collapse. Maybe a piece of driftwood jutting up too. Use a piece of flat rock as a base to build on. This would at least offer the fish a circle to swim in, and keep the tank visible from all sides.

I agree the tank doesn't fit the fish. The cichlids need lateral room to swim back and forth.

IF you decide to keep cichlids in this tank, a short lump if rocks isn't going to do.

If it were my tank, I'd look at tall plants (plastic plants would do fine) then build up rocks/caves/pots to surround the plants. You can build a nice center piece using aquarium sealant to build higher without danger of collapse. Maybe a piece of driftwood jutting up too. Use a piece of flat rock as a base to build on. This would at least offer the fish a circle to swim in, and keep the tank visible from all sides.

Thanks for the ideas! He is able to go in a circle as it is, but it is less than interesting to look at. I used to have a 55 gal tank but I had to downsize and now regret that I gave it away.

What size tank would you suggest for a single cichlid? Maybe I can look into getting him a new tank.

I cleaned the tank tonight, it was due. Did a 4 gallon pwc. I added some carbon to the filter. Klaus seems to like the new arrangement. He's swimming around checking out his new layout. I do think he needs a different tank footprint, but until I get a new tank to fit him better this will have to do. At least it is a little more pleasing to look at. Hopefully the pictures aren't sideways again.
IMG_3702.jpgIMG_3704.jpg

The tank needs length and a cave for a home. Cichlids are shoaling fish, so it's best to keep a few at least... a 30 gallon long would be the absolute minimum, imho.

The tank needs length and a cave for a home. Cichlids are shoaling fish, so it's best to keep a few at least... a 30 gallon long would be the absolute minimum, imho.

I was keeping him by himself because I didn't want him fighting with other fish. I'd say he's a good 4 inches, if I added more fish I'm guessing it'd be best to add ones near the same size as he is? Do you think he will get bigger or is he about full grown? I've had him for probably 2-3 years.

So, 30 gal long tank with caves and a couple buddies. Thank you!

Do you happen to know what this fish is? Looks like mbuna possibly female soulosi hard to tell. Very hard to give you accurate advice of what to add without knowing species. If it is mbuna even a 30 long is too small in my opinion.

Do you happen to know what this fish is? Looks like mbuna possibly female soulosi hard to tell. Very hard to give you accurate advice of what to add without knowing species. If it is mbuna even a 30 long is too small in my opinion.

The local fish store guy said it's an orange marmalade although he doesn't have any black spots or marks like ones I've seen online. I've looked online and seen that the "red zebra" cichlid looks very similar, even though it isn't red. It said captive ones look more orange than red. Lake Malawi mbuna is what I think it is. As far as gender, I have no idea.

Ok. Lake malawi cichlids are aggressive and territorial. A minimum 55g is recommended for multiple to give them space to have their own territories. You keep them as a 1m/3-4f ratio is best as a beginner. Honestly if your fish store will allow you I would return him for credit, but that's your choice as its owner.

Looks like I have some thinking to do on whether or not to keep him or rehome him. Thank you all for giving your advice!

Back
Top Bottom