Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like a red zebra in the pic but I already have a red zebra and if you seen the two side by side they do not look the same. This fish is like a pink color no stripes and no patter. on its cheeks it has specks of a very light metallic blue color. It's eyes are strange too they have black speckles in them almost like a frog or something. However it does look to be some kind if Mbuna for sure

I would say Zebra for sure but red zebra I'm not so sure about.They are not usually pinkish in colour but orange.Looks more like a cross of zebras to me.The pinkish colour almost suggests albino zebra but the lack of red eyes leads me away from that option.Its possible its a red zebra without the orange pigment but I think more likely a hybrid of a couple of zebra types.
Just thought I'd throw a cat amongst the pigeons lol

Thanks garfy that is what I thought too when I put it in my tank and it would make sense that it is a hybrid or possibly lower quality red zebra because from what I know the store puts all the not so pretty fish in the assorted tanks or fish that have been hybridized. When I first got the fish it had a black spot on its tail almost looked like someone smudged dirt on it so it lead me to beleive it was probably just a hybrid or not great quality zebra of some sort.

The Red Zebra (Metriaclima estherae) can commonly be found to have small spots especially around its dorsal and tail fin.So don't let the spots put you off.Until today I had 2 red zebras with a small amount of spots on them.Perfectly orange coloured bit with just a speck lint of spots near the tail.

Scientific Name(s): Metriaclima estherae

Common Name(s): Red Zebra, Orange Zebra

Family: Cichlidae

Species Type: African Cichlids, Lake Malawi

Maximum Size: 5 inches

Life Span: 10 years

Natural Habitat: East African Lake Malawi

Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons

Tank Region: All over

Possible Tank Mates: Other african cichlids or Synodontis catfish

Description: A member of the Mbuna (or "Rock Dwelling" cichlid) family, their environment should be densely decorated with rocks and rock caves, fine gravel, fine gravel with crushed coral, or even sand for substrate, driftwood, Java Ferns, and Java Moss. Top, middle and bottom swimmers, their preferred tankmates may include other Mbuna or Malawi cichlids, and Synodontis catfishes (as bottom feeders). Red Zebras are Omnivores, and do well with fresh spinach, peas, zucchini, and lettuce. Live foods may include crickets, brine shrimp, meal worms, glass worms, and tubifex worms. Frozen foods like beef heart, hi-pro, daphnia, glass worms, plankton, and brine shrimp are also good choices. Remember, as with most members of the Mbuna family, too much protien foods (meat) may cause them to "bloat". 30% water changes weekly. Vacuum substrate every 2 weeks, move the rock structures at least once a month, possibly with each substrate cleaning, as this will help to curb the territorial instincts of most Mbuna.

Temperature Range 76°F - 84°F

60°F
65°F
70°F
75°F
80°F
85°F
90°F

pH Range 7.6 - 8.6

pH 5.0
pH 6.0
pH 7.0
pH 8.0
pH 9.0

Hardness 10° - 15°

10°
20°
30°
40°

Breeding Information: Breeding these fish can be quite rewarding, as they are quite beautiful in their spawning and brooding rituals.

Sexing Information: The colorations of this fish differ from most of the Mbuna, as the females are typically the ones displaying the deeper and more brilliant colorations. The orange males are larger but often become pale on the lower sides of their bodies, and may even show a brilliant "freckling" of spots along the dorsal and tail fins. While the smaller female, may not have any color variation, with the deep orange color extending out to the tips of her fins. The males typically will have numerous (4-7) "egg spots", while the female may show fewer (0-3) and less prominent "egg spots".

Diet: Omnivorous but does better with vegetables. Should not have too much protein and should have no fat. African cichlid flake or pellt foods are good as a staple, but the diet should be supplimented with fresh green vegetables such as spinach, romaine lettuce, peas or zucchini.

Temperment: Aggressive towards other species, quite aggressive within species.

Common Diseases: Malawi bloat - fatal to malawi cichlids that eat too much protien or fat.

This profile has been viewed 7387 times.

VIEW THIS FISH ON TANKPLANNER.COM
Red Zebra (Metriaclima estherae)

Back
Top Bottom