Identification help with mating pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaimeEB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have what I think are a male Albino Red Top Ice Blue Zebra and a female Ice Blue Red Top Zebra (Maylandia Greshakei). The two have already mated (much to my surprise, I thought she may have been a he :eek:) and I now have about 14 3week old fry. I wanted to make sure that they are in fact, the same breed of fish before I took the fry to the LFS. Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment.

img_1772999_0_ebea906e705c427f3771fd08d14cb55e.jpg

img_1772999_1_33cfb3962c3ea5459c09b00ce851878e.jpg

img_1772999_2_eab9956851046f3608a7a35aed1a2b75.jpg

She's hard to get a good picture of because she's all over the place.

When I look through photos of Maylandia Greshakei, there are quite a few photos of females that look just like this one. But, she's also comparable to an Cobalt blue, except for the Orange tinge on the dorsal. Idk, that's where you guys come in ;-) I appreciate any and all ideas.

She's about 2 3/4". It's the lighting, she's got quite a bit of orange coloring. She darts around soo much. let me see if I can get a better picture.

You're right. But her face is more blunt (I Guess I could say) with the striping of a Zebra or Kenyi. I guess it helps to see her in all facets of light and life. But, it's entirely possible that she herself is in fact a cross breed that the LFS got from their dealer.

Not a cobalt, kenyi or acei.

That fish has the snout of a Labeotropheus. Not sure on the variant though.

Hongi's are member's of the Labidochromis genus and have a different mouth shape.

The fish in question appears to be a member of (or has a lineage leading back to) the Labeotropheus genus.

You're right about that snout! She's comparable to a fuelleborni.

Back
Top Bottom