Identification? Might not be cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this fish with some feeder fish. I put him in another tank because I knew he wasn't a feeder fish. He also seems really intelligent so that's another sign. I got him 2-3 weeks ago and he is now 1" long, he came as literally fry size and I looked after him.

Anyway, I took a photo... From his shape I think he is some sort of cichlid and there are vertical black stripes on his silver body.

Any ideas at this point?

Attachments

• DSC_4768.jpg
    DSC_4768.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 233
Some kind of panfish or something. Reminds me of a juvenile smallmouth bass. If I had to take a guess it would be green sunfish.

edit: wait not..it doesn't have earflaps. So it might just be an african cichlid.

Wow, I think you found it. That first pic looks very similar! It's nice to know a likely candidate, thanks :)

You're right! The vertical stripes make me think bluegill sunfish.

Going to research, I know they get 6 inches plus, but want to find info on temperament etc.

Don't know what he is, but I've also found an interesting fish from a feeder fish batch, I found a small goby about 1" long. Don't know what he is though

Any color info? Bumblebee gobies are about 1 inch fully grown, they are black and yellow.

You're right! The vertical stripes make me think bluegill sunfish.

Going to research, I know they get 6 inches plus, but want to find info on temperament etc.

Sunfish are MEAN fish - just as aggressive as any cichlid. It'll go all :gangsta: on your other fish.

Cool. Very fun fish herp_mommy. :)

Sunfish are MEAN fish - just as aggressive as any cichlid. It'll go all :gangsta: on your other fish.

I currently have an Oscar with a Convict (just one) Cichlid and Silver Dollars. All of these fish seem to work with each other very well at the moment. The Oscar is the most aggressive and his chasing of the other fish lasts 2-3 seconds before he gives up (so I consider that fantastic). What do you see as a possibility adding the Sunfish there?

If all is working out well, I'd reconsider adding a sunfish - that could be what disrupts the balance. Then again, it wouldn't cause trouble now because it's so small. But I think there would be a war at some point.

My friend tried keeping one with various cichlids and it killed them all, but his was bigger.

Tim, that does look like a sunfish. A big green sunfish might actually beat up your oscar. Bluegill and most other sunfish aren't usually that aggressive, but they're not community fish either. It's too small for me to get a good ID on it yet.

Thanks guys. I shot an email to the state to see what their laws are on Sunfish here (I can't find concrete info). I don't think releasing it would be a good idea (anything in my tank parasitic-wise could kill wild fish) and if they want me to euthanize it I can do that. Or I can put it in with the Oscar and see if he can catch it before it gets bigger... (One of the main reasons I knew it wasn't a feeder was because it had the intelligence to hide even though it was tiny).

Keeping game fish in an aquarium is legal in Illinois. The rules were changed fairly recently to allow it. I couldn't find the specific rule, but I know Animal Island had a few northern a couple weeks ago and I've seen pike and muskie fingerlings for sale elsewhere locally.

Just grow it out as long as there's no problems. First sign of aggression get rid of it. Besides juvis of any fish can look like many others. I doubt a 1 inch can catch up in size with your Oscar any time soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom