Identify the peacock? Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is this. The guy at the fish store said something about dragon peacock, although a google search brings up a totally different fish. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396228191.131184.jpg

Not sure but I would say it's aulonocara of some sort. How big is he? Might have to wait for him to color up fully to tell. I was thinking maybe a German red but it's hard to tell. Mine doesn't have that much color yet he is just starting to turn.

I think you may be right. Looking at some google pics I found this German red. Very very similar. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396229934.764770.jpg

I hope mine turns out half as good as the one in that picture. I got him in a 29g grow out tank with a couple other peacocks waiting for them to get bigger and more colorful. I love the peacocks but waiting for them to color up feels like it takes forever I'm too impatient lol.

I know what you mean. I had some red cap lethrinops that took over a year to show some color, and then they died. I also have a juvi male red top lwanda that won't color even though it's larger than my other peacocks who have.

Some fish wont color up much if they are not the dominant fish in the tank. I have a large german red that is hardly colored up at all because he is not dominant. Ive had fish color up when i moved them to another tank within a few days. With some fish dominance has a lot to do with it. Im not sure if the strain has anything to do with it, but it very well may play a big part in it.

Yeah I have had fish loose color when I moved them to my show tank and they lost their dominance in the tank. I have also had ones who must have been given hormones to make color show early. I have two Bi-color 500's that I got a few months ago that were showing some color when I got them. It faded pretty quickly and they are just starting to show color again and it's been at least 2 months.

That's one of the reasons I've started over stocking, I read a lot about it with peacocks and haps and it supposedly prevents fighting and dominating fish. There are still dominant fish in the tank, right now it's my electric blue hap, but my Sulpher head, sunshine benga, and this red shoulder display all the time. Right now the set up has full grown adult peacocks and a handful of juvenile peacocks. So the dynamics are in chaos. I'm sure it will sort itself out. Patience is the hardest part of this hobby I swear. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396231590.700671.jpg

I think German red and Red shoulder are good suspects for the first two. I like to know everything about every fish I have so not being able to figure out those other ones was a little annoying. But mostly I'll just have to wait and see it seems.

Back
Top Bottom