Identify this guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once he gets completely acclimated to his new home, he should really color up. It might take a few weeks. I've got one. He's one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 20180723_094507.jpg
    20180723_094507.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 110
Mostly male peacocks (Lawanda, OB,, Dragon Bloods- Blue Fire & Fire, Blue Regal, German Red, and a few yet uncolored mystery peacocks). Haps- Venustus, Livingstoni, Red Empress and a mystery one. Mbuna- White Tail Aceis & a Yellow Tail, Yellow Lab & Exasperatus-spelling? No heavy hitter Mbunas. All are juveniles except the OB.

Attachments

• 20180723_082555.jpg
    20180723_082555.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 159
  • 20180728_152021.jpg
    20180728_152021.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20180726_092011.jpg
    20180726_092011.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180722_222852.jpg
    20180722_222852.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 95
IMG_3439.JPG

Which is the one at the font I have one and not sure exactly what he is

They are all beautiful V. I would love to do Africans some day.

Mike
I'm kind of late to the game regarding Africans. I don't believe keeping them is as popular as it was ten years ago. They are real easy to keep and behave more like SW reef fish. A lot less hassle than a SW setup.

When did you get the Venustus? Mine went from the size of yours to this in 8 months and he's still growing. Lol
Mostly male peacocks (Lawanda, OB,, Dragon Bloods- Blue Fire & Fire, Blue Regal, German Red, and a few yet uncolored mystery peacocks). Haps- Venustus, Livingstoni, Red Empress and a mystery one. Mbuna- White Tail Aceis & a Yellow Tail, Yellow Lab & Exasperatus-spelling? No heavy hitter Mbunas. All are juveniles except the OB.
He's been a great excuse for needing a bigger tank so far. Lol 20180707_191209-picsay.jpeg

You've got a very nice looking Venustus. I got my little guy about three weeks ago. He was a tiny titan, dominating his tank at the LFS. He surprisingly gets a long with his little Livingstoni tankmate, who also was the bully in the LFS tank. These guys were so mean and active that I didn't bother to QT them. Once in the new roomy display tank the hyper aggression diminished. How does your Venustus behave?

Attachments

• 20180708_093244.jpg
    20180708_093244.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 72
You've got a very nice looking Venustus. I got my little guy about three weeks ago. He was a tiny titan, dominating his tank at the LFS. He surprisingly gets a long with his little Livingstoni tankmate, who also was the bully in the LFS tank. These guys were so mean and active that I didn't bother to QT them. Once in the new roomy display tank the hyper aggression diminished. How does your Venustus behave?
Love the Livingstonii. In Sept I'm getting another tank, I'm looking at a 180g acrylic and I'll be moving my Venustus, Vc 10 all my Haps over and livingstonii is on my list. I just can't decide if I want to do all male, which will be a first. My Venustus right now is just starting to show some breeding interest although he doesn't have any females, not enough room. Lol Even still when I purchased him, he was tiny like yours and I've never had a problem with him or any of my Haps for that matter. If someone is in there spot and they don't want them to be they will just nudge them, unlike Mbuna, which I don't own anymore even my Peacocks chase around the tank. Its actually comical because my red shoulder wants to be boss. He's after my sunshine, Eureka but if they bump into my Venustus, they stop and slowly back up, like "um sorry" They clear a path for him but I honestly don't think he realizes how big he is. Lol. I love my Haps though,they are awesome to watch cruise the tank and my Venustus will actually get them to cruise with him, it's like a train at a wedding,he picks up others along the way.

And I've also noticed my Haps are very aware of me, make eye contact ect. I'd have to imagine it's a tiny bit like I read about Oscar's.
Love the Livingstonii. In Sept I'm getting another tank, I'm looking at a 180g acrylic and I'll be moving my Venustus, Vc 10 all my Haps over and livingstonii is on my list. I just can't decide if I want to do all male, which will be a first. My Venustus right now is just starting to show some breeding interest although he doesn't have any females, not enough room. Lol Even still when I purchased him, he was tiny like yours and I've never had a problem with him or any of my Haps for that matter. If someone is in there spot and they don't want them to be they will just nudge them, unlike Mbuna, which I don't own anymore even my Peacocks chase around the tank. Its actually comical because my red shoulder wants to be boss. He's after my sunshine, Eureka but if they bump into my Venustus, they stop and slowly back up, like "um sorry" They clear a path for him but I honestly don't think he realizes how big he is. Lol. I love my Haps though,they are awesome to watch cruise the tank and my Venustus will actually get them to cruise with him, it's like a train at a wedding,he picks up others along the way.

Sounds like your Venustus is a true tank boss. Every harmonic cichlid tank needs one to control the general aggression that always pops up.
A 180 g. Tank would be a great size for an African tank. Probably the biggest tank that one can still effectively reach down into for weekly maintenence. Anything bigger would likely require specialized equipment.
I'm hoping my 120 long African tank is all male. Most are still juveniles that have yet to color up. I selected them by attitude and lit many of them up with a flashlight at my LFS looking for color. So far so good.
It would have to be the deal of the century for my wife to okay an upgrade to a 180. Lol.
I've got a few Mbuna, the best of which are the White Tail Aceis. They actually school.

Back
Top Bottom