Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Identifying Cichlids

Recently (as in a half hour ago) acquired three new cichlids, and would like to see if I can get some ID on them. I know they're african (at least they were labelled as such.) One I know for sure is an electric yellow, which I was hoping for. The other two seem to be the same body build and I know that not all yellow labs are yellow with a black stripe, I've seen pale labs and so on. Could anyone help me tell what exactly the others are? The more pale/pink one seems to be a yellow lab, but I'm more concerned about the orange one. Pics attached. Thanks for your answers in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New fish trio.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	87965   Click image for larger version

Name:	New fish unidentified 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	87966  

Name:	New fish, unidentified.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	87967  

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the orange one is a red zebra, and the third is prob a male kenyi.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman42 View Post
the orange one is a red zebra, and the third is prob a male kenyi.

Thanks for the response! Will the zebra and kenyi be ok with yellows? There are two other yellows in that tank, bigger than the ones pictured. I'm hoping for a little overcrowding to help reduce the aggression, since the more bright colored yellow I have will stop being so harsh to the submissive one. Trying to even it out, ya?
Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm im not exactly sure, but i know that adding multiple fish at once is a good thing, this way the aggression will be spreaded out. they may be bullied a bit because they are the new fish in. i have a red zebra, electric yellow, and a kenyi in my african tank atm.
you should take some more pics
im not exactly sure on the id's, but some more ppl will prob chime in soon, gl with tour new fish
Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Red zebra, and kenyi are both very aggressive fish. But it depends on so many factors if it's gonna work. Their personalities is major, you aqua scaping and number of other fish?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also the little orange fish in the second pic could be a female salousi?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3549721130.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	88057  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update and I'll get pics later...the pink-pale one labeled kenyi has taken on more of a yellow hue now. The two older labs that were in there before the newcomers are acting odd. Earlier the more bold one which I've identified as male was nibbling on the females side. Then after a bit they would spin around each other, lock jaws, release and repeat, every now and then the female would nibble on the males side before they spun around and locked jaws again. They've stopped now but sheesh that was odd
Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail
Update and I'll get pics later...the pink-pale one labeled kenyi has taken on more of a yellow hue now. The two older labs that were in there before the newcomers are acting odd. Earlier the more bold one which I've identified as male was nibbling on the females side. Then after a bit they would spin around each other, lock jaws, release and repeat, every now and then the female would nibble on the males side before they spun around and locked jaws again. They've stopped now but sheesh that was odd
Red zebra , electric yellow labs , and Kenyis get along because they are all from lake Malawi. Only if you have too many males. I think the spinning around and liplocking is 2 males fighting or mating. Mating is a little different though... Are you sure the female is a female?? My males do that. Male kenyi are yellow blackish and blue is female.
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm pretty sure. I'm not an expert at venting but the smaller of the two older yellows seemed to have a larger hole near the vent, and the bolder one had two holes equal size. Assuming I did my research right in venting to determine sex.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Finally got to update with some pictures, been a while because of work and all. Anyway, I did vent the larger yellows again when I took them out to rearrange the tank. Turns out both yellows were males. I'm disappointed and happy about it lol. The quarrel reveals he finally got brave enough to stand up to the bolder one, sad part is now I need to rehome it since the newest yellow is a female. The orange fish, from the research I've done seems to be a red zebra-still young but that's my assumption. The jury's still out about the pink/pale one, which is now much more yellow, but doesn't have the markings (strip on dorsal, pelvic and anal fins) that yellow labs have.

First two pictures are what is suspected to be the Kenyi cichlid. Third is the red zebra (assuming that is definitely what this is.) Fourth pic is a bit blurry (sorry), but is the group of the new ones (with the female yellow lab on the right.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, identifying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com