IDing angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracygh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have browsed through the forums, hoping to find my question already asked and answered, but no such luck.
I have seen much talk of adult vs. juvenile angels, how do you tell the difference? Is it all about size, or are there other characteristics?
The two I have left are a bit smaller than the size of a quarter (body only) and one is black, one is silver. I was thinking of maybe getting some of their tankmates from the LFS. (we only got these angels last week, so I am assuming that their tankmates would be easilyassimilated into the community)
Any advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, the other community members are two albino cory cats, the aforementioned pair of angels and a breeding pair of fancy guppies.
TIA,
Tracy (a newbie...hi there :) )

I am sure some angels change in color as they grow, but generally angels get to be fairly sizable. Mine is about 5 in tall, not including his streamers. What size tank do you have? If you are thinking about getting more angels to keep with those, do it now. It is harder to introduce new angles when they are adults. Depending on your tank size, you may also need to get a bigger tank. The corys are fine with the angels, but watch the guppies. Especially when the angels get bigger, any guppy fry will be angel snacks. I have 5 male guppies in with my angel, and he doesn't bother them at all, but I have no doubt that any babies would be gobbled up.

Matuire angels are big...in a typical aquarium, bodies are about 3½"-4", but under ideal conditions, body-length is as much as 6"-7".

I purchased my angels when they were "juvenile", about a the size of a dime (measured by length not height). They are now the size of half dollars and it's only been four months (sneak a peck at my gallery for pics).

They are still "juvenile" at this stage...not mature by any means. Maturity is related to when they can begin reproduction. It is at this time that they will exhibit some territorial and/or aggressive behavior.

It is always recommended to start out with juveniles. This way you can prepare to move them when it's time. Purchasing adult/mature angels when you're not prepared can lead to problems.

I would recommend you buy your target number of adult angels as juveniles, plus one or two extra to allow for loss. You are likely to have a peaceful existensce among them as they grow up, unless two pair up for spawning. You are also likely to loose one or two along the way, since it takes a while for them to reach large size. It is perilous to add adult angels to a tank with other angels in it. There will likely be deaths. Even if you add similar sized angels. Trust me, I have just lived through such a scenario, several of my angels did not.

Back
Top Bottom