I'm Back -With Babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I haven't been on here in sooo long, as an update I have:

- a 75gal with a 10inch Oscar lass named Veyron and a 9.5inch sailfin pleco
- a 40gal with all 4inch affys, 1 red zebra, 1 chailosi, 1 zebra obilquidens, 1 saulosi and 1 white tail acei
- a 10gal with a number of guppies

well, the Oscar used to have a mate which it nearly bred with - but the male got SO aggressive that I feared for the tank as well as the female! so she's all alone, but seems fine.
the affys have been happily living in the 40 no problems, barely a scuffle ever happens, and they're all in fine shape, which is surprising because I bought the obliquidens without remembering the lake differences. I bought them all as intended females, the white tailed acei was holding when I bought her and the babies grew up and I sold them :) but I found out soon the obliquidens was a male, it got the most fantastic colours!! but for all this time, I hadn't had any pregnancies since that acei :( they'd had the right conditions and everything, but I wasn't expecting it since they were the wrong lake!

but just today, my saulosi had the huuugest mouthful of eggs! seriously, I have NEVER seen that many eggs in a mouth, and I've had much larger fish holding! she's barely able to close her mouth :p i'm so happy! I've just done a water change and she still has them all in there!
we'll see how this goes! of course i'll keep them, they're mixed breed, so I can't sell them, but i'm excited!
sorry the pics are horrific quality, but it's late and she's quick!
DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0233.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Congratulations :-D I love it when cichlids have babies. I have the same problem with photos. I try to get a shot of them side on but as soon as you approach the tank they come up to the glass head on. They are barely still especially if they are paired. As soon as the mate comes close it's all gill flaring and shimmying to each other. Plus the push me shove you testing each other. I have 2 lots of fry atm. Thorichthys maculipinnus and Herichthys carpintis :-D I think they are stunning and they give me many hours of entertainment.

congrats! Mind if I see some pics? ;) i'm crazy about baby fish - I have raised soooo many fry batches, usually metraclima estherae when I used to have some! The just loved making babies!
what I am curious about is how these fry will turn out, since they're half Malawi and half Tangayika!

Well that will be interesting :) I wonder if you'll get a batch that favour one parent or a mix up of both? We'll have to wait and see. Unfortunately I have not been able to post photos or videos on this forum o_O I have some photos in the photo gallery under the cichlids section. I will post some more updated ones. If they are worthy ;)

P.s. are the fish in your photos above the parents of your soon to be babies? The bottom fish has interesting colours :)

Yep, those are the parents! The obiquidens in the bottom photo is the only male in the tank, he has the most fantastic colouring. I mistook him for a female in the shop, but when I took him home and he became boss, he coloured up :D i'll check out the photos, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom