I'm back with questions..lol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all :)

I know it's been awhile since I was "active" in here. I have been lurking in the background once in a while reading up.
My set ups have changed since last and I still have to update my profile. So please disregard the stocking in there. It has been rectified!
So the reason for my post..
I've been running the 65gal now stocked with mixed Malawi cichlids (12 in total) one syno cat and two plecos. All with no issues for the last year or so. Until four days ago when my levels came back with a huge spike in ammonia,nitrites and nitrates! I did two pwc's the first 25% the second because of no change 50% Still no change so I went out and picked up "tank buster" it's basically is supposed to restore your beneficial bacteria by converting the ammonia and such faster. Hasn't worked to this point. I'm sitting here wondering do I do another big water change? Is that helping at this point or hurting more? I'm guessing my tank has jumped (for some bizarre reason) back into cycling? As I didn't do anything different with this tank and it spiked. Or because of the age of my tank (over 15 years) could I be battling something else here? Old tank syndrome? Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated while I'm sitting here staring at my tank scratching my head with a heavy heart as my fishes are gasping...

Ok I'm taking this tank down to next to nothing for water in it and seeing if that's going to help??

Do bigger water changes and then test again. Have you changes filters or done massive gravel cleanings? Or did this just happen? Have you tested tap water?

In the process of taking 75% of the water out. I haven't done anything different at all. That's why I'm dumbfounded. No media swaps nothing added not even fish I do 25% pwc weekly checking levels vacuuming substrate an this last week bam spiked!

I did that it was one of the first things I thought of too. So even after that and a couple other things I took a sample with me when I went to buy the tank buster crap and had them test it too. Same results I got.

Look at my sad sad tank ..

Attachments

• image-3735532944.jpg
    image-3735532944.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 85
Lol! Thanks Convict :) All present and accounted for actually. Thank god!!

^^agree, there has to be a reason for the spike. Missing fish, something in the tank that wasn't supposed to be there, you wiped the outside of the tank down with windex, etc? Stay on top of your testing and your water changes, but also try and determine the source. If something got dropped in your tank and its still there, water changes aren't going to help.

Ok found a busted thermometer..could that be it? The red part is still Incased just the glass was cracked? It was wedged behind one of my HOB canisters. I know I need better filtration in that tank and that's partly why I've been so strict with my weekly maintenance.

Oh and my assassins have been breeding like mad? I'm so puzzled...

Ok I've refilled and I'm going to check my levels again after supper (hubby's hungry) hopefully all is good now. Still haven't a clue what caused it to begin with. Thank you for the input thus far :)

Ok I've refilled and I'm going to check my levels again after supper (hubby's hungry) hopefully all is good now. Still haven't a clue what caused it to begin with. Thank you for the input thus far :)

Keep us posted. I'm curious to see your parameters after that major water change. Enjoy supper

Ok so I finished supper and let the tank settle a bit and have now retested. Here are the results

And this is what the fish are still doing :-(

Attachments

• image-4232616379.jpg
    image-4232616379.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 48
  • image-4245596641.jpg
    image-4245596641.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image-289031004.jpg
    image-289031004.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1606889672.jpg
    image-1606889672.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 48
Well Mel ;)

Parameters look way way better!! GREAT job!!! (y):dance:

Now relax, just keep an eye on things. Your probably going to have to do another water change in the am. You might me going through a mini cycle. But you a great support group!!! US!!!(y)

I know I should be happy happy!! But I'm still worrying lol! Until my fishes are swimming around and playing again I don't think I'll be able to not worry. Lol! I'm thrilled the levels came down! It's really bothering me as to what started all this. Why did they spike in the first place and when will my lil buddies be back to themselves? I'm not going to do any more tonight. I think I'll shut their lights off early tonight give them more time to "sleep" and hopefully tomorrow morning they'll be better. I'll let you know what the results show tomorrow morning. Thank you again Dino!

I know I should be happy happy!! But I'm still worrying lol! Until my fishes are swimming around and playing again I don't think I'll be able to not worry. Lol! I'm thrilled the levels came down! It's really bothering me as to what started all this. Why did they spike in the first place and when will my lil buddies be back to themselves? I'm not going to do any more tonight. I think I'll shut their lights off early tonight give them more time to "sleep" and hopefully tomorrow morning they'll be better. I'll let you know what the results show tomorrow morning. Thank you again Dino!

Anytime Mel!! Hey just curious whats your light schedule? We'll figure it out. there's always a reason. I agree with Renegade maybe something got into the tank? In a cycled tank you shouldn't be seeing such drastic spikes. I NEVER see ammonia or nitrites, just nitrAtes.

I can't sleep.. I'm sitting here in the dark looking into my tank..(not that I can see or do anything else) racking my brain. Lol! I turn the lights on around 10-11am and shut them down around 9-10 pm. It fluctuates with the amount of natural light that comes in. Winter season I have them on the above, summer they're on for shorter times. The tank itself isn't in any direct sunlight but the house is brighter during different times and I didn't think they needed the extra light on them. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Back
Top Bottom