I'm confused with this fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dharf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392709223.763062.jpg

Hi guys, can you all help me identify the ID of this fish? I was told its a green terror before purchase.

As i kept it for a while, i noticed it kept changing color, especially from pale white to ash gray.

I tried feeding it pellets and shrimps, but all it seems to eat is the live plant in the tank.

I don't know what it is but if it seems to be vegetarian then you could feed lettuce zucchini cucumber or other green vegetables. It might leave your plants alone that way.

Looks to be a vieja/ paratheraps. Could be fenestratus or zonatus. I'm actually positive it's in that genus. The color changing is all mood, something must be stressing it out for all of it's color to disappear. What's your stock list, tank size, temp, and can we get a full tank shot?

Could be Zonatus also looks a bit like juvenile Dovii hard to tell with the flash on the glass.

10000% positive it's not a dovii. It's either zonatus or fenestratus, leaning towards zonatus

I was thinking Zonatus to but the blue is located on the lower half of the body where Zonatus the blue is usually on the upper half. Its not Fenestratus they have more pink on the face.

This is a juvenile Dovii colors are the same and fins are the same. The biggest difference is face shape but that could be the angle of the picture. I am not saying it is a dovii but I am torn between Dovii and Zonatus the OP fish looks a little off for both species.

Attachments

• DOVII.jpg
    DOVII.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 120
I am 100% positive it is NOT a dovii, I've seen plenty of them and know for a fact it is not. This fish is without a doubt in the genus vieja. And it is still young, so it's adult colors are not in yet.

It's south American and I don't know the scientific name but I'm 95% sure he is a " Jack Dempsey "
At least that's what we call them at the pet store I worked at

It's south American and I don't know the scientific name but I'm 95% sure he is a " Jack Dempsey "

I'm sorry but I'm 100% sure its not a jack.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 132

Jack dempseys aren't South American either, they're from Central America, and it's roccio octofasciata. At any rate, completely positive it's not a JD. If it were my own fish, I'd say it's a zonatus and call it a day, but that's just me

I can only see the first picture , and like 1/10th of the second . But sorry ya my bad , I assumed jack Dempsey ,but now that I look again he is more plain but he is similar but had different black markings and not as many spots. Could he maybe be like a hybrid of a Dempsey and fire mouth or a terror and another , they all look so darn close .

No. It is not a hybrid, it is a vieja species. Looks nothing like a firemouth, Dempsey, green terror, or red terror.

I can now see half the second picture ,? Weird it wont load all the way and what's with that third picture ? Third pic is not the same fish huh

I just ment in the same family of those guys , but o well just trying to help ill shut up now. Lol.

I agree with Freakgecko91 - a species of Vieja. V. zonata or V. guttulata look like reasonable guesses, but you probably won't do much better until it's a little larger.

Tony

I'm just going to chime in and say I think that tank is way to small for that fish.. It looks huge compared to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom