Impulse buy - Firemouth info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I should duck for cover right now, but I could really use some info.

I was at the LFS and was watching the most spectacularly colored Firemouths I have ever seen. I watched them for a good 20 min and they were heavily guarding a hole in a piece of lava rock. Both flaring at me when my face got near the glass. They both looked like males but I had a suspicion they where guarding a nest. I mentioned it to the manager and she said she thought they were both males. but she moved the rock to find a bunch of wrigglers.

We looked at the fish closer and I noticed one had an egg tube. There was our female. Very beautifully colored up and flaring away.

The manager agreed to sell me the fish and hold them until the fry are free swimming or they get eaten since the nest was disturbed.

I should be picking up the fish Friday or early next week.

They firemouths are about 3" long.

The only space I have available are a 20 long with 2x 1" EBJD's and 1 GBR.

The other space I have is a 75 gallon with 5 male peacocks and a believe it or not a bunch of mollies they never mess with.

I was hoping to put them in the 20 long with the EBJD's for a while until they breed and then move the the fry into a new tank when they get bigger.

Or put the in with the peacocks but how will firemouths fair with Peacocks I really dont know much about firemouths personality.

Please help the fish loving fool :facepalm:

PS I have been wanting to get into breeding for a while and figure this is a great start. so i will buy a new tank when I have fry.

Neither of your setups are ideal, I would skip picking up a pair until you have at the very least a 40B to dedicate to a pair.

Neither of your setups are ideal, I would skip picking up a pair until you have at the very least a 40B to dedicate to a pair.

not even ok in 20 long for a few months? they are only 3"

I wouldn't advise it especially since they are a breeding pair and will likely claim that whole tank to themselves. Meeki are a dime a dozen just hold off until you have the proper space.

I know they are but I have never seen colors like these have and they are already a breeding pair. I may try and get a 45 set up this weekend if I can.

How would they do with my peacocks the 75 is way under stocked?

I know they are but I have never seen colors like these have and they are already a breeding pair. I may try and get a 45 set up this weekend if I can.

How would they do with my peacocks the 75 is way under stocked?

You've never seen colors like that because you've never seen them in breeding dress at the store before. I wouldn't risk them with the peacocks either.

I'd either try and get a tank set up for them or just pass.

ok thanks for the info (I really do appreciate it). I will figure something out, If I have to get another tank I will. This pair really impressed me.

I would like to get more info on the Fire mouths if anyone can share their experience. I am still picking up the Pair. After the previous warnings I am till trying to decide where to put them.

It seems to be split 50/50 that they are either kitty cats or lions when it comes to aggression and tank mates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my firemouth at 1" back in January. He was in a 20g long with a female convict, which was 1.5". They were in there together until may. I removed the convict after one night his tail got nipped at (previous times the con just chased, first time there was damage) so I felt it was time for her to go. He was alone, and I tried various partners since then. Festivum cichlid, angelfish, blue acara cichlid, and now a striped/giant gourami. The cichlids were chased away from the lower area of the tank where he roams, but never any damage.

The festivum was removed because it destroyed my plants, and the acara was part of a bad trade-in at my LFS which all developed ich. The angel was removed when his tailfin was frayed one morning. He's been with the gourami for the last week. No aggression, just a chase when the gourami approaches his driftwood cave that he shares with a bristle nose pleco. He's also been with a school of tetras since january as well. I've lost 2 during that time, both I think got too close or something, because they had big bite chunks on them.

So at the moment, he's in a 29g, with 10 black skirts, 1 bnp, and a striped/giant gourami. Got lucky with genetics because he has blue and red all over his body, moreso than any firemouth I've seen fully grown.

Parents and about 75 babies are in a tank to them selves. I put them in the 20 long that had been housing by EBJD's since it was an established tanks and moved my EBJD's to a new tank. Everyone is doing wells. I am looking forward to growing these guys out and if anyone wants some Firemouths PM me and I will keep you updated on there growth.

Justin

Also parents are only 3" I plan to get another tank when they get bigger. And using the current tank as a fry grow out.

I too, love the fm, no matter how common, he's new to me =) This is Cinder, my juvie and another impulse buy lol

img_2657743_0_5e522de64d6aca26f11eb94a1182644c.jpg

I too, love the fm, no matter how common, he's new to me =) This is Cinder, my juvie and another impulse buy lol

img_2658372_0_5e522de64d6aca26f11eb94a1182644c.jpg

Nice looking. Is he in with your peacocks? I never really paid too much attention to them in my years of keeping fish. Until this month when someone posted some beautiful pictures. And I stumbled onto this breeding pair. I will have to get pics up.

No he's in a 55g grow out with a jd and cons and a jewel. I have 3 tanks. They are pretty fish, I like watching all my cichlids grow, but wish they would hurry =)

No he's in a 55g grow out with a jd and cons and a jewel. I have 3 tanks. They are pretty fish, I like watching all my cichlids grow, but wish they would hurry =)

Yeah I agree. I have my pair in a tank by themselves. I have JD's and EBJD's as in a tank. Then my peacock tank. Also a 20 long goldfish tank for my daughter that needs to be upgraded. I think i am maxed out on tanks for now.

Back
Top Bottom