Impulse buy. My first cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol you obviously haven't seen my tank. I use 15+ pounds of holey rock in a 20 long to section off my multi's territory from my goby cichlids

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those have a long body. I've never seen them before

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Freak, glad to hear it. I would definitely like to get some.
They look long but they're so tiny, around an inch

That's what the female multis top out at LoL here is an old pic of my multis
attachment.php

They look happy with the shells:) more shells! More shells! It may have been petco.. had hermit crab shells, all types, some pretty nifty ones!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Little shellies are settling in nicely and showing some of their beautiful coloring. Two of them claimed the big shell, maybe I'll get some fry sometime :) I'm still on the hunt for some better shells, but in the meantime, here's some pics! They love to give me the stink eye.

Escgarot shells off amazon work well, however hecqui get big, so you may want to shoot for more of the lager whale's eye shells

Thanks Freak. I have to buy some other stuff today so I'm going to do some hunting.

Escgarot shells off amazon work well, however hecqui get big, so you may want to shoot for more of the lager whale's eye shells

They sell them in the grocery section of wallymart, in the world or ethnic food aisle or whatever they call it. It would be faster than amazon, those chambered shell gotta go before one of those guys gets trapped and let me tell you it's dangerous and a pain trying to bust one out, but if you ever want to feel like a bomb tech then.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok Gillie. They haven't gone in anything but the big shell and the one they came in that I've seen but I'll fix it up asap

Ok Gillie. They haven't gone in anything but the big shell and the one they came in that I've seen but I'll fix it up asap

Also make sure to thoroughly rotate any shell you add to the tank. You have to get all the air out. Also try to not take the shells out of the water once they're in the tank. If aur gets stuck the fish will suffocate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Got it. Just ordered some. I'll post pics once they're in. Would it be better to take out the others now or wait til the new ones come?

When removing shells that might have a fish in it use a large cup or measuring cup. Put it under the water and move the shell into it. I learned the hard way that you cant get the fish out of the shell once its in there. And trying to grab a shell before they make it into it is a real challenge.

I'm not too worried, they're only a little skittish. They're realizing that I mean food, methinks :)
They never dart to or into the shells I'm going to be taking out so I think I'll be okay. I will of course be super careful!

Got it. Just ordered some. I'll post pics once they're in. Would it be better to take out the others now or wait til the new ones come?

If they are only hiding in one then remove the others, you might want to think about some rocks too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I want to add some. Brookster mentioned holey rock which would be cool but my ph is rather on the high side straight out of the gate (~8) so I wasn't sure if I should, I don't know how much it affects the params and I figured I would err on the side of caution unless I find otherwise. Any other suggestions for types of rock? Otherwise I'll go hunting in the woods and vinegar test.

Back
Top Bottom