Impulse buy. My first cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lace rock is awesome too, i use alot of it. Great caves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lake Tanganyika is higher pH. And the holey rock won't really raise it higher if it's already high in the first place. I literally have 15+ lbs in my shellie 20 long

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok cool thanks guys! I would have planned better if I knew I was getting these guys but I couldn't pass them up. I'll keep you updated!

When I get home I'll snap a pic f my shellie tank, although multies are FAR different from hecqui

New shells arrived and went in the tank. Bossy Bart is attempting to prevent everyone from checking them out. He (I assume) has claimed the biggest shell.
I haven't gotten a chance to get any rocks yet. Holey rock is expensive so I'm going to go out digging when the snow melts.
I am in love with these guys and I have a million questions.
1) How soon will I be able to sex them? I assume I have more than one male because the Boss keeps pushing other ones to the top of the tank.
2) Can anyone tell me how old they are? How soon they will be adult size? When they will start breeding?

They are some adorable looking fish ?

Great pic! He's going to be the gladiator:)

Haha hopefully not! I don't want beat up fish. How long before these guys are adult size?

Time for picture updates on my threads. You can see these guys are getting big. They're nearing 2 inches. I have for sure two males and 2 females, not sure about the fifth. All eating, doing well, no fighting, upgraded them from the stupid sponge filter to an AC50 but still running both until it's fully seeded. Waiting for some fry!

The baltimore aquarium has a group of these pushing 6". They were huge.

Hi guys! Just some quick pic updates. I'm starting to think there's a good chance these could be boulengeri instead of hecqui, but waiting to see them get a little bigger before I can tell for sure.

Those are some nice looking fish! I like the first pic of the one inhaling.

Definitely hecqui, boulengeri have a pattern that looks more like the spots bleed into each other, not a clean "connect the dots" pattern like yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sad day :( one male started shoving a shell around and excavating. Today I only saw four at feeding time. He was dried up on the floor. No idea how he got through the tiny crack in the lid but I guess he must have gotten bullied bad to jump out. I'm sad.

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately this is the way of the shellys My multis one day decided a male was an outcast they kept him in a top corner until I saw it. He was beat so bad I had to put him down. No idea what changed in 6 months for him to not be accepted any more.

I had a female panduro shoot the gap too.. couldn't believe it? The opening was literally the size of a nickel.. she wanted out bad..

Back
Top Bottom