Injured Angel Fish; not bad... please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhodewright

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 6 year old Gorgeous Angel/// looks a lot like the one you have posted under (goldie_really_good_Medium_Medium.)I am from Puerto Rico and have always wanted to have fish. The fish keep me motivated. The collection of fish was given to me by the local Japanese Restaurant when they remodeled and moved. I had TWO angels and the other one got chased into the heater area:( by a "rainbow" that is no longer part of our aquarium(gave him away :p_.)I am disabled from previous meningitis infection I contracted from a patient while practicing Family Medicine.
I awakened 2 4am today with a strange feeling and saw the "Beauty" @ the bottom of tank, very slow, still and not responding. I quickly got out the test strips (all normal) and moved her to a separate smaller tank. It looks like someone nibbled on the left guills. Maybe also some minimal areas over the "antennae."
I would like to know what I can purchase to help her heal, regrow the injured areas and try best I can to prevent its demise. So far, looks much better while alone. I am willing to get rid of the other fish, if needed. I hearts' desire is for Angels. This one is 3" from mouth to end and 4.5" from top to bottom fins.
I read about aloe vera a little and decided to go with you. Please help me with my main companion.
Sincerely,
mom of 2 boys; fighting to get healthy:lol:

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

What other fish are in the tank with the angel? If you found her a 4am she may have been sleeping and be just fine. I don't know the lifetime of angelfish, so hopefully someone else can chime in with info.

If you have her in QT now, I've heard melafix (meds made by API) can help to aid in rebuilding the fins.

= Dear Neilan, Thanks so much for such a prompt reply. I Just joined this site today so I will have to update my info... 9:35 am CST The angel is alone, calmer, eating a few flakes and seems under less stress. I have a small pump putting in small amounts of bubbles and a thermometer.I can see the gills are definetely injured. No signs of blood, cuts. I am willing to do whatever I have to to have the Angel. Even if I have to remove the others. Although, I would prefer to keep the Black Knife as well.

ALONG WITH THE ANGEL FISH, IN A 29 GALLON FRESHWATER TANK WITH MAINLY RIVER ROCKS AND A FEW CRAVEL on bottom. No artificial plants, only hiding places and a water/bubble decoration along the bottom. Go ahead and tell me I need a much larger tank. But then recall, these were given to me when I least expected it. I was not educated or prepared. I have had them since mid December 2007; so 6 months. I am still learning to get the water just right.
*1 small, 1 inch red-eyed tetra (stays to itself, eats small amounts.) CHARACIDAE Family
***2 large (4" and 3" long) African Black Knife.1 has grown a lot in length and width. They are both relatively shy and only come out during lights off and feeding time. I have begun to keep the light off A LOT because when I left them on, the black knife fish began to turn light gray to pale in color. They have plenty of hiding space underneath a aquarium, plastic-type of cave, and under another smaller rock. They are happy and come out during the day and not be scared at all. Mine swims around during the day with the lights on!!! its pretty cool (but it takes a few weeks for this to happen) Of course, they much more prefer lights out. So, do I need to separate the nocturnals? or can I leave them there and let them hide when lights are on? How important is it for the other fish to have lights on?
* 1 OLD< 9" sucker fish who looks good for his age and comes out only to eat @ night.
***3 small (1-2" each,) seem to be well-behaved, Tiger Barbs (1 male.) I have read they can attack the Angel, although I spend at least 1 hour twice daily staring @ their behavior and I have not seen them aggressive. they dance and play with each other.
That is a total of 7

I'm thinking your Angels are being harassed by the ghost knives and/or the barbs. These are not the best tankmates for Angels. Without having any decor, the fish have no where to go for peace of mind (ie. hiding spaces). Since you've moved the Angel out, she will recover. Can you get your hands on some melafix at your LFS?

HEY YOU GUYS< What is up? I adore animals and I was just handed these fish and adopted them. I have bought them tons of decor, but I was not prepared for the rate of growth, etc. Could you guys try to make it simple for me by telling me which of the fish I listed I would be safest to have with the Angel? Please!!!
Could you tell me what to recommend about the knife? I am not able to tell if you guys are suggesting those types of fish are not desirable, or what? These fish lived in a 1,000 gallon restaurant mansion.

rhodewright said:
Could you guys try to make it simple for me by telling me which of the fish I listed I would be safest to have with the Angel? Please!!!

I thought that was what we did:

Jchillin said:
I'm thinking your Angels are being harassed by the ghost knives and/or the barbs. These are not the best tankmates for Angels.

When you reduce the amount of space in a tank, aggression becomes an issue. In a 1,000 tank, there is plenty of space for everyone. Now that they are compacted, they no longer have that luxury.

I would remove both the knife and the barbs and get some decor.

Angel Fish doing great

I took the barbs out, left the Angel by himself for a day, changed the decor around, but I could not part with the knife yet. They are so unique and so far, I have not seen :n00b: the Angel appear to feel intimidated by them.
Hopefully, the black knifes will mingle with one another and Angel can just hang out. I also turned the bubble system I had to a minimal amount of air output/very little bubble output...

thanks for your prompt and caring replies. Any idea what I could do to adopt out the black knifes? Are those types of fish desirable to aquarium lovers with different interests, or are they not recommended to be in a home setting?

Have a great Memorial Day.

Back
Top Bottom