Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Injured Johanni...any ideas?

My sweet "blue 2" apparently hurt himself or was a victim of my other babies it seems. He can only swim with his front fins but otherwise seems fine. He is currently in QT chilling out. When this first happened i checked with out not so local cichlid store and he suggested maybe he squished his back end or an oil gland. He wasn't sure if the fish would make it, but to put in a tbs of epsom salt and keep an eye on him.

Well it's been over a week and he's still not swimming right. He is eating, his water is within parameter and he's not getting chased about like he was in the big tank.

Anyone have this problem before? Any input would be great cause I really really like this fish.

180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If we don't know what the problem is what should I do? Not sure if he is in any pain, I don't wanna prolong his suffering if he is in deed gonna die. I could bring him back to the store but I kinda feel I owe it to the little guy to help him out lol

180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Heres two shots of him, not very good though. Hopefully someone will know soon...I'm so upset
Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #4

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Is he swimming head up/tail down? If so sounds like swim bladder disease. I would keep the water clean, lower the water level to help with the pressure, and add Epsom salt at 1tlbs per 5 gallons gradually.

Is the fish eating? You could try deshelled and thawed frozen peas.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Exactly!! Head up and tail down. He is eating some spirilina flakes but not doing much else. I dosed the 10 gal QT with a TBS of epsom already. Should I re dose? Is the outcome good for this type of thing? Or should I go and get some kind of medication?

I'm soo glad someone has an idea cause i'm at my wits end
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #6

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In my experience the outcome is generally not good. I'm sorry, it's never easy losing a fish, especially seeing one slowly go out. I hope I'm wrong but good luck and keep us up to date.

Lastly try the peas but don't feed any other foods for 3-4 days, fasting sometimes helps.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #7

Make sure to boil, shell, and chop the peas into little pieces too. And if you can't get him to eat them, try using a turkey baster to target feed him. Don't lose hope! He can still make it!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm still watching my fish not do well. He hasn't gotten worse I guess but he def hasn't improved. He wont' even let me get near him with a a turkey baster so that's out. I've been feeding him some flakes and cichlid sinkers, not sure if he's eating.

Is there any medication I can get? He's in a qt tank so it would be confined. It breaks my heart every time I look at the kitchen. ( only place left for a tank lol)

The only thing that may have changed is his lips are looking kinda swollen and lighter colored. He used to be completely irridescent dark blue but now he's darker...

Any help please?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

On the advice from a highly respected fish store I treated the QT with penicillin. I've gotten 3 opinions that its swim bladder issue so as a last resort I'm trying the meds. I should hopefully see some improvement in a few days I hope. This is only day 2 of treatment. But the third week since he was sick.

Plan sound good to anyone?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #10

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have not heard of any meds that will help with swim bladder. Just the couple of tips I posted earlier but again I'm rooting for him and let us know how it turns out.

References - Swim Bladder Disease in Goldfish

Tags
injured, johanni

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com