interruptus ID please (which sex)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oblivion

Aquarium Advice Activist
i got a couple of melanochromis interruptis from the LFS quite a while ago, and was told the male was the darker one with large egg spots, the female was the orange fish with one egg spot.

theyre all about 5-7cm (2-3") nose to tail.

a few weeks later i was talking to another store assistant who said i was sold the wrong fish, the dark coloured fish is actually an orange blotch zebra which had not coloured up yet, and that all interruptus they had were orange juveniles until they matured and changed colour.

2wk ago i seen they still had a couple of the orange interruptus left, one seemed like it had almost no egg spot so i grabbed it anyway.

my own investigoogling tends to suggest i have one male, two female interruptus (and thats also what im hoping for :) )

so i'd like some interruptus advice/sex ID on the following photo's.

Female? #1 - larger egg spot
interruptus%201.JPG

Female #2 - almost no egg spot, camera flash makes the colour lighter than it is.. its identical to female #1 except the tiny egg spot
interruptus%202.JPG

Male Interruptus or orange blotch zebra ?
male%20interruptus.JPG

male%20interruptus2.JPG

Were these guys in a mixed tank? Cause your male is neither a OB zebra or a Interuptuss. The top two are females but look like female Msobo, It's a lite early and the brains not working right.

Last edited:
the store always has every tank clearly labelled with each species, and a photo of the male and, if it looks different, the female.

they come from one tank marked

"orange blotch zebra" (pic of adult showed a blue + orange blotched fish?)

"melanochromis interruptus male"
"melanochromis female"
(pics of of true adult male interruptus, and the orange ones females i have)

my alleged "male interruptus/blotch zeb" has gained a lot of the lighter blue markings since i got him, including a nice blue on the dorsal fin.
i should have pointed out, the first photo of the male (darker pic) shows the true colours, the 2nd pic looks lighter than he is

Back
Top Bottom