Intro and filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DE_BO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to introduce my self and throw my first of many questions out. I have a 90gallon african tank that is a real mess!!! I purchased it for 200$ with stand and a marine land 400 emperor filter. The guy was very generous and threw in all the cichlids in the tank next to it as well as some river rock gravel for substrate. Also many large rocks to make caves from. I had read briefly about cycling and planned to take a while getting it set up. He had several large nice looking tanks and he was insistent that I go ahead take the tank and he would send over his son to help set it up. We got the tank set up and filled with water and next thing I know the guy is over at the house with the fish in a bucket. I told him my concerns about cycling and he said they would be just fine. And to my amazement, the tank has had no issues. I have learned quite a bit in my research since, and I have made lots of upgrades such as adding two canister filters, a large heater, and air stones/bubblers. I am pretty pleased with the tank so far. I do have serious stocking issues, I cant begin to tell you how many different species of lake Malawi and Victorians I have in there. They all seem to get along fine, with the exception of two that are stressed and hide in the corners. I plan to get a larger tank in the future(125g), but that is a ways off unless I find a steal of a deal on craigslist. So I'm sure I will pick people's brains about stocking in the future.

Anyway, my first question to you is my media in my canister filters. I have a rema xp3, that currently has the 4 sponges(2 course,2fine), ceramic rings, two pouches of chemi pure and filter floss. I also have the eheim 2215 with sponges, ehfistrate?,ehfimech?, carbon pads, and filter pads/floss.

Is all this recommendable? I thought about having one with All the media in it, and the other to have just mechanical media, and fill the rest up with floss and sponges to have a really clear tank(it's been staying pretty clear as it is now). Suggestions or thoughts?

Thank so much.

I am sorry I cannot give you advice but I am subscribing to this thread out of curiosity. I want to see how you do with all those African cichlids. I am deciding if I want to try that route myself. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom