Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Introducing a new blood parrot

Ive had a blood parrot for a few years now he became agressive and ate all of his tank mates including a 6 inch pleco. After a couple of years of living alone today my husband comes home with a new blood parrot. A little bigger than the one we have. Our original appears to be attacking the new. But then the fighting stops for a while then happens again. Is this normal?

Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds like a pecking order being sorted (sometimes it settles, sometimes not). Never kept these though.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Red parrots mouths are shaped in such a manner that the weaker parrot won't suffer much damage when attacked. Once the larger parrot gets settled he might turn the tables on the original. Two like cichlids together equals constant bickering. An addition of a third parrot might ease things up. I've never kept parrots either but no reason to believe their behavior would differ much from other semi aggressive S.A. cichlids. Recently saw a group of seven or eight parrots in a display tank at my local wal-mart. Not much aggression or damage noticed.
Good luck.

Tags
blood, intro, parrot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com