introducing bigger fish to smaller fish in a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millymoore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a new big tank (120 gallon planted) all set up with a jack dempsey, 2 parrots, and 2 oscars they are quite small, all only couple inches wide. i also have a 29 gallon tank with 1 big oscar and 1 big jack dempsey. i’m wanting to introduce the big oscar and big dempsey into the new tank however there is quite a size difference and the bigger oscar is quite aggressive but it is a new territory so i’m thinking that it will be okay? i’m just wondering if anyone has some ideas to when i should introduce the big oscar and big dempsey into the new tank?? thanks in advance!!

Milly
It would be best to wait until your juvenile cichlids grow a few inches before adding the adult Oscar and Jack Dempsy. Even then you will have to go through the aggressive cichlid balancing act to eventually gain equalibrium.
If you do decide to go ahead and add the big fish, then your mission is to construct a hardscape full of hiding spots for the little ones. It's entirely possible, I've done it many times.
Pictured is my 120 gal. The way it was set up several months ago. Ive changed it up a little since then. There were a few really large cichlids, and many more juvenile cichlids hiding in the crevaces and caves.

Attachments

• 20171026_223047.jpg
    20171026_223047.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom