Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

River,

The problem and the point is that you are ignoring the purpose of the thread and giving advice that is specific to YOUR needs ignoring the needs of the original poster who asked for help. I'm not typing this because I care about my needs as I can fend for myself. But as I stated earlier, most people can NOT look at fish for weeks and most people are not buying fish too large for a 10 gallon intro.

I respect your advice but it would be better if you stipulated that your advice does not fit the original or average poster's needs which dilutes it's value to proving a point.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

That said, I hope you feel free to carry on your debate with Tank Girl as I find the conversation informative.

In younger days before the internet was a way of life I had great success without an introduction tank and I often wonder if we are now in an age with too much information.

Ignorance may not always be blissful but it can sure take away all the worries associated with too much information. Everybody is so worried about stressing the fish that they forgot about stressing me!!!

I thought firing up the old tank would be relaxing

Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LoL. I thought restarting being an aquarist after a 30yr hiatus would be relaxing, too. ROFLOL. 😜😱😖
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has QT ing been going? I'm just curious. When was it decided that it was necessary?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
That said, I hope you feel free to carry on your debate with Tank Girl as I find the conversation informative.

In younger days before the internet was a way of life I had great success without an introduction tank and I often wonder if we are now in an age with too much information.

Ignorance may not always be blissful but it can sure take away all the worries associated with too much information. Everybody is so worried about stressing the fish that they forgot about stressing me!!!

I thought firing up the old tank would be relaxing

Sometimes I too wonder if we have too much information. I often listen to the people on here who have had the most experience and have been in the trading business as I believe these people can give me a truer reflection of how things are.

I'm with rivers on this one. I do sympathise with people who don't have it as lucky as I do in terms of access to shops, stable source water etc but I can't help but think:

How often is that that fish actually get sick BECAUSE they are in QT? Then 3 weeks down the road the fish gets ill and they go 'oh look at that! I'm so glad I QT'd' How often is it that fish are introduced in to tanks with unclean water, inappropriate tank mates, poor acclimatisation, poor handing from shop to home, inadequate tank sizes and the fish become ill because they are stressed and susceptible to disease?

I believe, and I guess it is only a theory that if you have a healthy tank then the fish in there will not become Ill. If you have a healthy tank of guppies say and introduce a betta the guppies are now vulnerable and stressed and so become Ill then you think the betta has brought in a disease.

For me personally, I can't wait to get the fish in to a stable, clean environment such as my display tank as it stands more chance if fighting anything it may already have.

In no way am I insinuating that people in this discussion treat the fish poorly or have unclean tanks. It's just my theory. All the fish I have lost have been through faults of my own.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like I said you can be fine 99% of the time. It's that. 1%.
And QTing doesn't have to take weeks. Usually if a fish is sick you can tell within days. Because the stress of the move with exacerbate any illness he might have. If a fish isn't sick move him over.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Girl View Post
You can indeed catch it 90% of the time and when you see it, you don't buy the fish. It's that other 10% that is too high a risk in my opinion. And treating 10 gallons of water is far less expensive than treating 120. There's simply no point in risking the health of every other fish for the sake of one that you're "sure" is healthy.

exactly
Old 05-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd get a 2nd tank. This is AA, you have my support to do so.

Tags
fish, intro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com