Is 78 degrees ok with a Blood Red Parrot???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my BRP for about 3 weeks now... He is homed in a 75 gallon with 15 tiger barbs, rainbow shark a red severum and 8 false juli cory cats. Up until I purchased him i kept my tank around 75-76 degrees... two weeks ago i slowly upped the temps to 80-81 degrees because i understood the brp to have higher temps.. It seems since i have done this i have slowly started losing fish. i have lost around 5 tiger barbs the past couple weeks and around 5-6 cory cats.. I lowered the temps yesterday to 78-79 degrees in hoping that this may cure my issues... is this ok with a brp? Amonia and nitrite numbers are 0..nitrate is 15 and PH is 7.5..im stumped on whats goin on here..thanks

I have had my BRP for about 3 weeks now... He is homed in a 75 gallon with 15 tiger barbs, rainbow shark a red severum and 8 false juli cory cats. Up until I purchased him i kept my tank around 75-76 degrees... two weeks ago i slowly upped the temps to 80-81 degrees because i understood the brp to have higher temps.. It seems since i have done this i have slowly started losing fish. i have lost around 5 tiger barbs the past couple weeks and around 5-6 cory cats.. I lowered the temps yesterday to 78-79 degrees in hoping that this may cure my issues... is this ok with a brp? Amonia and nitrite numbers are 0..nitrate is 15 and PH is 7.5..im stumped on whats goin on here..thanks

How "slow" did you up the temp?

Corys also do not tolerate high heat very well depending on species.

I've seen ups and down with tiger barbs. Some people have success and others have mass unexplained deaths of them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'd keep it at 76. The crosses of the parrot are fine at that temp

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its crazy Caleb

I had my tiger barbs in my 29 gallon tank for over a year...I upgraded this past december to a 75 gallon.... cycled it good...everything was great..ever since i put in new tank is when all h_ LL broke loose... losing fish left and right in the new tank....numbers are great as far as water.. since december i have added the BRP, Severum and the corys... slowly added them... atleast 2-3 weeks between batches....always run test..never had a spike in numbers. And now every morning i find another dead fish..either a cory or a tiger barb... I have a hard time beliving they are being harrassed to death.. all the fish are young still... Since the water is good and since im doubting tiger barbs being harrassed to death it leads me to two scenerios, either a bacteria or fungas or too much Oxygen... i say that because im running a AC110 and a AC70... i doubt that would be the issue though, so im wondering if some kind of disease is in the tank... fish seem fine and healthy looking... they are killed sometime at night... no spots on them, no rot.. nothing... I am treating tank with mirafix right now just in case..im on day 4 right now..I am as stumped as anyone.... even at 81 degrees the temps shouldnt be killing all these fish... it is dropped to 79 today...but i doubt the temps killing them off....ARGHHHHH.. im almost ready to call it a day and give up....

Ok, I will drop temps back down to the 76-77 range and see if that helps at all... I just hope the Parrot is ok at that range..hes a cute bugger...friendly... and now im down to 4 false Juli cats and suppose im gonna have to restock them when the time comes...arghhhh...thanks.

I had my tiger barbs in my 29 gallon tank for over a year...I upgraded this past december to a 75 gallon.... cycled it good...everything was great..ever since i put in new tank is when all h_ LL broke loose... losing fish left and right in the new tank....numbers are great as far as water.. since december i have added the BRP, Severum and the corys... slowly added them... atleast 2-3 weeks between batches....always run test..never had a spike in numbers. And now every morning i find another dead fish..either a cory or a tiger barb... I have a hard time beliving they are being harrassed to death.. all the fish are young still... Since the water is good and since im doubting tiger barbs being harrassed to death it leads me to two scenerios, either a bacteria or fungas or too much Oxygen... i say that because im running a AC110 and a AC70... i doubt that would be the issue though, so im wondering if some kind of disease is in the tank... fish seem fine and healthy looking... they are killed sometime at night... no spots on them, no rot.. nothing... I am treating tank with mirafix right now just in case..im on day 4 right now..I am as stumped as anyone.... even at 81 degrees the temps shouldnt be killing all these fish... it is dropped to 79 today...but i doubt the temps killing them off....ARGHHHHH.. im almost ready to call it a day and give up....

As said above, cories typically do not tolerate heat at all. Sterbai are one of the only ones that I know of that do.

As far as the tiger barbs go, I couldn't tell you

Back
Top Bottom