Is a 20 gallon to small to make a cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyjoelyjoepro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I was wondering if I could make my 20 gallon into a cichlid tank because they look really really really Cool but I don't have a bigger tank.
Thanks

Hi all, I was wondering if I could make my 20 gallon into a cichlid tank because they look really really really Cool but I don't have a bigger tank.
Thanks

What do you mean by a cichlid tank? There are many kinds of cichlid that are perfect for a 20 gallon but you can't really do an african cichlid community if that's what you mean. Do you have a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high?

Like Sini said, depends on what type of cichlid. You could definitely do a pair of Bolivian rams or german blue rams. There are lots of other cichlids out there, like the rams, shell dwellers, checkerboard and a lot more. We can help you more once you specify :)

I don't know much about cichlids but, I was just wondering if my tank was big enough. The tank is longer than it it is tall so it is probably a long. I still need to do lots of research but what what cichlids would be able to fit?

I don't know much about cichlids but, I was just wondering if my tank was big enough. The tank is longer than it it is tall so it is probably a long. I still need to do lots of research but what what cichlids would be able to fit?

Both a 20H and a 20L are longer than tall. A 20H is 24 inches long and a 20L is 30 inches long. This actually makes a big difference as to what you can keep.

If you have a 20 long here are some ideas:
Cookie Cutter - 20-gallons (long)

Here are ideas for a 20H:
Cookie Cutter - 15-gallons or 20-gallons(tall)

In a 20 high, but not a 20 long, you can do a pair of angelfish.

Some of the ideas for a 20L will work with a 20H with some modification so if you find anything you like just ask.

It would be a tall then. I was thinking I might be able to build my own aquarium with some old glass I have lying around and making something like a 60 gallon or something which I would make a wood frame around because it is brittle, the glass I mean. What do you think? Do you guys and gals have any more advice for starting a cichlids tank?

Thanks

It would be a tall then. I was thinking I might be able to build my own aquarium with some old glass I have lying around and making something like a 60 gallon or something which I would make a wood frame around because it is brittle, the glass I mean. What do you think? Do you guys and gals have any more advice for starting a cichlids tank?

Thanks

If you're going to be building a 60g tank then you need pretty thick glass, I would imagine it would need to be quite a bit thicker than stuff that's laying around. It would need to be at least 3/8 of an inch thick.

My advice: start slow and do your research on each species of fish before you buy them.

Honestly you should start with the 20 gallon. Building a tank is a pretty big undertaking. There's a lot you can do even with a 20H. I have two different 20H's with one kind of cichlid in each. One has a spawning pair of angelfish and the other has a colony of shelldwelling cichlids.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're going to be building a 60g tank then you need pretty thick glass, I would imagine it would need to be quite a bit thicker than stuff that's laying around. It would need to be at least 3/8 of an inch thick.

My advice: start slow and do your research on each species of fish before you buy them.

The glass I would be using is about 1/2 to 3/4 in. Thick but it is brittle so I would have to brace it with some extra wood. I also might just build something like a 40 though.

Thanks

I'd Google, ram cichlids, apisto cichlids, and shell-dweller cichlids. Come back with more refined questions from things you researched and were interested in, and we can give you a lot more help.

Sent via echolocation

Back
Top Bottom