Is a cockatoo Dwarf Cicklid a good choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Heads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to get some personality in my 29 gallon aquarium. Would love to have a cichlid but don't have any experience.

Is this fish a good community fish? Have personality? Will it eat amano shrimp?

Is there a better dwarf choice in the cichlid world? Better off with another fish family?

Thanks!!

Water parameters 8 pH, 8 GH, 5 KH kept at 78 degrees

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/apistogramma_cacatuoides.php

^^An article on Apistogramma cacatuoides or the Dwarf Cockatoo cichlid.

They are pretty peaceful. I'd get a pair or a trio (1m/2f). They are gorgeous fish and do well in community tanks.

Your pH is a tad high, as they like a lower pH, but I think they should do ok. A stable pH is much more important.

What fish are in the tank?

I do think that Apistos would eat Amano shrimp, if they can fit them in their mouths.

i keep cockatoos, they are great.. i picked up a some from a local breeder and ended up with 4 males and 1 female, need to fix that... you any were near MN? i can sell you 3 male cheap :D LOL

yes they can and will eat shrimp if they can fit in there mouth...

I think the cockatoos would be fine, assuming you're talking about a relatively peaceful community system.

Cockatoos are one of the hardier dwarf species, so it'd get my vote for an introductory Apistogramma. Depending on tank size and bio-load, I'd suggest a male and two females.

Unless you're getting wild caught specimens, your tank water should be fine. Stability is far more important than trying to chemically alter the water to make it "perfect". Also, stay on top of your PWCs, as they aren't fond of nitrates.

Great website. I was pulling my info from another website that listed the Dwarf Cockatoo with a higher pH range and water hardness.

Thanks!!

Nope, cacatuoides are low pH and hardness; the good news is that captive bred strains are pretty tolerant of water parameters, as long as the quality is high.

They're a gorgeous fish and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

JDogg said:
i keep cockatoos, they are great.. i picked up a some from a local breeder and ended up with 4 males and 1 female, need to fix that... you any were near MN? i can sell you 3 male cheap :D LOL

yes they can and will eat shrimp if they can fit in there mouth...

I am from southern MN and am looking for some decent ciclids for my 55. Currently I have it populated with 8 or so Zebra Danios, 2 blue gouramis, some marble hatchets, 4 corys, a small pleco, 4 diamond tetras, and a weather loach. These I am planning to move them to my 45 when I get it set up. IF you don't live too far, I could use sort of an aquarium "expert" for advice on various issues I may encounter in the future.

jbarr said:
Hey I'm in MN. How much are you looking for one, JDogg?
well since i posted that i may be tradding the 3 extra males in to my LFS for 3 females if she can get them in...

but if she can not i will keep you in mind :D

Back
Top Bottom