is a single male kribensis okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone with experience with having a single male kribensis. I want to trade in some fish and get one but I've almost always seen them in pairs. I don't want any hanky panky and the aggression that goes with it.

as long as there's plenty of hiding places, i think 2 males would get along fine, barring some occasional scuffles when they do meet. getting a male by itself should pose no problems either. i have a mated pair in my 40g and they just defend their territory.

kribs probably won't get too rough. it's usually when they have fry, or are spawning/guarding eggs that they harrass other fish.

I'm worried if I put in a male and female that they will spawn and the territorial stuff will begin. I feel like if I put a male and female pair in that I won't be able to stop them from spawning. I also don't feel like I'll have enough room for 2 even after I trade in some fish. Do they absolutely have to have rocks or will driftwood suffice?

i bet you'll have some room in the 29g black, specially with the monstrous filtration you have :lol:
the only bottom level fish there are the loaches, and they should hold their ground against a breeding pair of kribs. the only reason i suggested a pair is the wonderful coloration on the male. besides you can always trade the female away if they get too aggressive.

the 29g oak would be slightly unsuitable because of the cory population. but then again, each tank has its quirks and it might be ok.

I male krib should work in your tank, but every krib is different and you will need to watach him for the first week.

I highly do not suggest you put a female/male pair in your tank. The female is the one you need to watch. I had a pair that was not even spawning and was fine for the first couple of weeks and then lost it afterwards.

She went after everyone. She attacked my pleco's and cories to the point of tearing fins and I had them in a 45 gallon tank too.

Whatever you decide, please keep an eye on them for the first 2 weeks to make sure.

i apologize dax29 :oops: , but you better listen to FawnN.
in my case it's the male who's the aggressive guy, the female is happy to let the man do the dirty work. but as you see in FawnN's case, its hard to predict the temperament of a krib.
but i still stand by my statement that the loaches will fend off attacks from a male/female krib...being from the botia family, they have spines under their eyes, which is why most aggressive fish avoid them.

Kribs like to spawn in caves...so without a cave, they likely won't successfully breed, but that doesn't mean they won't get aggressive when the female is ready to spawn.

I had ton's of flower pots, a good size cave and one large Malaysian driftwood. They ended up spawning on the underside of the driftwood, twice.

They are unpredictable. So be careful.

Great advice

Great advice all! I've got another question. Do you think those curviceps cichlids will get along with the kribs okay. They seem very peaceful and are actually very friendly. They come up to greet me when I walk up.

I wonder how well the krib(s) would get along with my Bolivian ram in the oak 29? Probably not well.

I would not put your kribs in their with the rams. You could end up with a battle tank.

But then again I could be wrong. I have kept over a dozen kribs and each of them were different. The end result was always the same though. Someone always got hurt or died.

My last spawning pair were the best parents and really seemed to dig each other. And bam, one day the male for whatever reason, turned around and killed the female.

the rams might be successful in getting away. but the cories are the the only bottom-dwellers that are going to suffer the brunt of the aggression, and might possibly lose a lot of fins.
and i have no experience with curviceps. but from your comments it looks like they are nice enough guys. again, the issue would possibly be how the kribs react to the others.

I'm going to trade in my cories anyway. The cichlids seem to have much more personality.

Cichlids have tons of personality and are so much fun to watch. Seeing them being parents is the whole reason I got addicted to them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom