Is adding a Convict a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chew valley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 63 gallon tank. With a male Jack Dempsey and a male Green Terror. The JD is growing a lot quicker than the GT and chases him around quite often. They are both about 6 months old.

The GT did lip lock with him a couple of months ago and got his *** kicked. So he tends to just run away now when the JD comes at him. I have plenty of hiding places for him.

I am just wondering if adding a male convict would be a good idea. As thinking that it would give the JD another target and not be so hard on the GT and think the convict may stand up more to the bully a bit more so may calm the JD down.

But also quite like convicts anyway.

No long term that's a bad idea, as there will not be near the required space for individual territories to be set and three aggressive fish in a small box doesn't work. If your looking for target fish then I'd suggest giant danios, they are lighting quick and will add some movement to the tank.

No long term that's a bad idea, as there will not be near the required space for individual territories to be set and three aggressive fish in a small box doesn't work. If your looking for target fish then I'd suggest giant danios, they are lighting quick and will add some movement to the tank.

Thanks I was thinking it was a bad idea and you have jsut confirmed it. Might look at the giant danios as think it would give the GT a break :)

Love convicts, but...

Convicts are interesting, lovely (especially their eyes), and their breeding habits are a real curiosity. I am convinced, however, through research as well as experience, that they belong by themselves! I just today completed my work on a 45-gallon that now houses 3 male convicts and 1 females who is spawning. I used an "Alcatraz" theme complete with "the rock" and a huge Golden Gate Bridge. It's neat and we look forward to getting little ones!

Back
Top Bottom