Is my cichlid pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adriennenvince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering how I can tell if my cichlid is pregnant. I bought them from a couple that was moving up north.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

When they're pregnant they stop eating to protect the eggs in their mouths. Wait a minute...what kind do you have? Can you post a pic?

Cichlids uploadfromtaptalk1461452616407.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1461452588995.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1461452588995.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 84
I assume you are talking about the Amatitlania nigrofasciata They will breed like crazy. They are egg layers. Previous poster thought you had mbuna.

Poor me

I assume you are talking about the Amatitlania nigrofasciata They will breed like crazy. They are egg layers. Previous poster thought you had mbuna.
Thanks for the reply....this is my first aquarium. They just told me they all are African cichlids. Which ones are you referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I see 2 convicts in the back ground of the 1st picture. I also see a fire mouth (meeki) The orange one isn't clear enough but looks like a midevil or a rose queen. These are new world or sa/ca cichlids. I don't see any African's in there but the pictures aren't clear.

Possibly a jack Dempsey at the top of the 1st picture. You have some really aggressive fish there.

Possibly a jack Dempsey at the top of the 1st picture. You have some really aggressive fish there.
Ugjhh omg...in told my husband the top one could be a jack.....the orange one is a cichlid but not sure what type either

There are several different kinds in the tank

Do you know if it's best, to remove a fish to a hospital tank if fin is damaged due to aggression?

Do you know what the orange guy is?? If its a midevil or store name red devil I don't think you will ever have some with out torn fins. What size tank is this? Which one has torn fins? frequent water changes is best to heal fins from fighting. What are the water parameters??

I was told that it's an African cichlid as well, one of the small one has a torn fin...I just noticed it... water changes are done on regular and I put some conditioner in. Don't know the parameter

Thats a convict. Do you have a good picture of the orange one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea Not an African in the mix. The orange guy looks to be a midevil He needs a 75 gallon by him self. Do some research on these fish.
Amphilophus labiatus
Amatitlania nigrofasciata
Rocio octofasciata
Thorichthys meeki

I'm really surprised the fire mouth (meeki) has not been killed.
Look them up and then ask questions if you need to. In that size tank you will have continues aggression problems with those fish.

Ok, I thanks so much for your help. They been together for almost 4monthnd now

Back
Top Bottom