Is my rusty holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandj1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey just looking for a second opinion on if my rusty (I. Sprengrae) is holding. If she is I don't know when the spawn happened as i just noticed she wasn't opening her mouth to breathe and under her chin looked deeper than usual but she was still fairly active in protecting her cave. I just noticed all this last night during a water change.

Attachments

• 1398698541806.jpg
    1398698541806.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 128
Hmm, hard tell, looks like it's likely to me but not big enough to tell for sure.

Looks like a yes. Check when feeding time. See if she comes out of her hiding place. If she does, check if she is eating or just swims around with the others. These are signs of her holding.....

I noticed she just nudges the pellets i feed them with her nose but doesn't eat (noticed that a couple nights ago but watched more closely last night and this morning and sure enough just investigated the pellets but didn't eat), also noticed she wouldn't let the others near her mouth if they entered her space, just chased them out.

Looks like it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats cool:D, if she's holding fertile eggs then the fry will be hybrids (only male i have is my kenyi). Wasn't intending on breeding but if thats how they want to be then so be it, first brood for her (and for us from our cichlids, we have had livebearers give birth) so i have a couple questions...

1. Can i use a breeder box (the floating type with the grate in the bottom for fry to fall through) to catch her fry when she spits them?(would make it a little easier to feed them)......
2. If i can use a breeder box when should i try and catch her to get her in there?
And 3. Or would it be better just to let things run their course and see if the fry (if there are any) will get eaten by the others and the mom?

Well its been a week since I noticed her like that and watching her closely she hasn't eaten in that time he chin looks a littlw deeper as well.

i was just feeding my fish and saw 2 babies swimming around i never intended on breeding anything but it happened, i have some type of afra that i believe is holding, mouth area is large and shes not eating, ive never had any fish have babies before and i would like to catch them but i think im just going to let nature run its course and hope for the best, i am very intrested in seeing what they turn out to be lol

Ok heres an updated pic of my rusty i suspect is holding, its been 2 weeks since i noticed she looked like she was holding, she hasn't eaten, and won't open her mouth when defending her cave(or any other time), reason for posting an updated pic is because she doesn't look like other holding cichlids(her buccal cavity isn't as large). Unfortunately this is the best pic she'd let me get but looking @ her from front on you can what looks almost like a bump under her lips. If anyone can give me an opinion based on the new pic would be appreciated if not then i guess i need to just wait a little more paitently.;)

Attachments

• 1399925253396.jpg
    1399925253396.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 71
:eek::D:eek::D rescaped our cichlid tank tonight and got an amazing surprise my rusty WAS holding she spit sometime in the last week, I noticed she was eating again and figured she spit and all the fry got eaten. But when we were finished and sat back checking everything out we found ONE little one darting in and out between some small holes in the new rock work :D:D made my night

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom