Is my tank big enough ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie19882010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I have a pleco (baby),2in demasoni, 7in tiger Oscar , 11in jack Dempsey in a 75 gal tank I would like to not have to buy another tank my house just isn't big enough :0/ .... If it is an ok size can I put anything (fish) else in to boost up color :)

Rule of thumb is an inche per gallon and it seems as if the tank is a good size

Awesome I just don't want to stunt their growth or stress them out :) ... Is there any other fish that would be pretty and get along with the fish in my tank as of now ?

The demasoni shouldn't be in there IMO. I wouldn't add anything else to the tank. Oscars can get very big imagine the size it is now and add that size to it + maybe some more.

Why shouldn't he be ? I got them from someone TGIF needed to gone ASAP because they was moving so I just assumed it was ok since they have always been together

Rule of thumb is an inche per gallon and it seems as if the tank is a good size

Sorry to say but this is bad advise. The inch per gallon rule is in no way intended for large cichlids. The Oscar alone stocks this tank. When dealing with big messy eaters like the fish the op has, the outcome will prob be bad. Water parameters along with aggression could cause a catastrophic loss of livestock.

Why shouldn't he be ? I got them from someone TGIF needed to gone ASAP because they was moving so I just assumed it was ok since they have always been together

They are small compared to and Oscar, it is an African mbuna cichlid and shouldn't be with almost any other cichlid. I'm sure if someone eats him or they kill him he was probably asking for it. Sa/ca cichlids are just flat out mean. African cichlids are mean but in a different way. They are more hyper aggressive. Its like a little dude running around slapping a big guy. The big guy takes one punch and knocks him out. That's the best way to relate imo

Great advise on the post above this one

Demasoni is and the oscars need differerent water perimeters. Of course they can live/survive but it's not meant for either as one is soft and other higher pH.

Well I can say the demasoni so far hasn't had any problems what so ever none of them have been aggressive to each other at all ... So what do u go by to know when they need to go to a bigger tank

Back
Top Bottom