is she ready to spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k.mascher86

Aquarium Advice Freak
i know its probably hard to see but shes got a little buldge in her tummy and vent is sticking out.......

ForumRunner_20120903_134409.jpg

they do have a place to spawn and this isnt their first spawn......i just recently got them from my lfs cause the owner bred them......theyve had about 4-5 spawns together last one producing about 150

update......i just checked on them and the male's vent is sticking out as well

update......i just checked on them and the male's vent is sticking out as well

Sounds like eggs are due at any time now. (y) Just remember to give them some space while they are spawning or you could knock them off their game. ;) I used to have to watch some of my breeder Angels through a system of mirrors I put together so I could watch them from outside of the room. My parents thought I was nuts!!! :lol:

Good luck with these. (y)

they are in the infant room.........i check on them just to feed them.....thats about it

is there a special diet i should be feeding them to help with the spawning process? right now i feed them omega one cichlid flakes and black worms as a treat

is there a special diet i should be feeding them to help with the spawning process? right now i feed them omega one cichlid flakes and black worms as a treat

From the sounds of it, the fish are ready to spawn so there's nothing you can do now but wait. As for their diet to prepare them for the next spawn, you'll want to give them a balanced diet of both proteins and roughage. It sounds like you have that covered ;) You might want ot try adding some cichlid pellets if they "waste" a lot of the flake food. Sometimes the flakes get too small for larger cichlids to see or even want to bother with. Other than that, I'd keep going as you're going (y)

good to know im on the right track. makes me feel a whole lot better......thanks for all your advice and knowledge. im pretty positive all my fish would have died if it wasnt for all the knowledge ive soaked up from AA.

so my female ended up digging a wicked groove next to their "spawning rock". a few days passed, nothing. so tonight i was doing my nightly check-in before bed and she was still sitting there. right when i was about to get up i noticed her "fanning" the rock. i looked closer and this is what i saw

ForumRunner_20120904_231327.jpg

she finally spit her eggs! im so flippin stoked its gonna be hard to sleep! questions: how long before they hatch? is it normal for male to sit away from spawn? ( they are the only 2 in the tank ) and is it normal for the female to hardly eat? they are jd's if that helps at all

Back
Top Bottom