Is the angel male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got an angelfish the other day and I think he's male I just want to make sure so here's a pic of him
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424532980.970427.jpg
I can get different ones if I need to.
Also his breeding tube is very small and looks different then my proven female so that's why I'm leaning more towards male. Thanks in advance ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The breeding tube will definitely help identify the genders of Angels better than anything else. Having said that, your fish seems to have a few of the physical characteristics I use for sexing these fish and I believe also that it is a male. No guarantees, but a strong lean towards it. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

Ok great ? I was wanting to breed angels and didn't have the space to get 6 young ones and I already have a proven female so I read a lot on how to tell the gender and did the best I could and it looks like I did good lol anyway how do I know they have paired off also how long will it take I only got the new guy a few days ago and my female has stopped beating up on him so I think she likes him a little lol anyway here's a pic of both of them ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424620380.303935.jpg
Normally they stay closer together and here's a good size comparison
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424620518.460827.jpg

A usual pair will be a larger male with a smaller female so with yours, they might not breed at all but just tolerate each other in the tank. BTW, There are no guarantees that putting a male and female together will produce spawns. Unless the fish pair off naturally, it's a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes not.
Also, there are many fish today that show opposite gender characteristics so as I said, no guarantees that yours is a male based on the pic. It just showed some of the traits I look for however, I once saw a perfect male Angel in a display tank in a store that i asked about buying. He had the right fin shape, the hump on his head and a slimmer physical appearance. When I approached the store owner about buying him to pair with a female I had, the owner told me it wouldn't work because THAT fish was an egglaying female and he too was looking for a male for her. So you see, only watching the fish spawning is a 100% guarantee-able way of sexing the fish. ;)

You may want to read through the thread "Wigglers at last!!!" in the breeding forum. It contains just about all the info you need to know about breeding these fish. Truthfully, you will need more than one tank when breeding them so you may want to read that thread to know exactly what you are getting yourself in to.

Hope this helps.

Well my plan is to leave the fry with the parents which yes I know I might not get fry for a while and I might not get a ton of fry but I don't care I would actually prefer that anyway after the fry have gotten bigger I would move them to a 55 to finish growing I would make a little area using a divider so that they aren't all of a sudden in a giant tank and as they grew I would make that area bigger until I think they could handle a big community tank. So yeah that's my plan. And the male I have is still kinda young so he's not done growing ? and if I end up with two females then I'll just have a pretty angel tank lol

Back
Top Bottom