Is this a colored down Eureka red?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacockkeeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this guy a month and a half ago and when I picked him up he was showing some decent red. Since he has been in my male show tank he has only been showing a dark blue/purple color so I'm wondering if he is a colored down eureka or if he could be something else. He is low in the pecking order so wondering if he will show more red as he grows any thoughts would be appreciated.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399148692.992754.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399148734.617607.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399148752.743148.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399148782.216392.jpg

Well jacobfrei and eureka red are the same just different color phases. I'd guess your jacobfrei put the eureka in his place so he has his colors suppressed. Your lucky he's not dead.

Well jacobfrei and eureka red are the same just different color phases. I'd guess your jacobfrei put the eureka in his place so he has his colors suppressed. Your lucky he's not dead.

+1 in an all male tank he might no show colors again until he's full grown, if at all, one of the downsides to an all male tank. It can be super colorful, but you have to be patient.

I have some absolutely beautiful peacocks that look amazing when I put them in their own tank, but in my big all male show tank they don't show at all, but I have noticed once they start to match the dominate fish in size they show more. You could try taking the dominate fish out for a little while, and see if he colors back up. He might hold it when you put the dominate fish back in, but maybe not. Just be patient is my advice.

+1 in an all male tank he might no show colors again until he's full grown, if at all, one of the downsides to an all male tank. It can be super colorful, but you have to be patient.

I have some absolutely beautiful peacocks that look amazing when I put them in their own tank, but in my big all male show tank they don't show at all, but I have noticed once they start to match the dominate fish in size they show more. You could try taking the dominate fish out for a little while, and see if he colors back up. He might hold it when you put the dominate fish back in, but maybe not. Just be patient is my advice.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'm afraid to move the dominant fish because the #2 is kind of a jerk but the #1 keeps him in line. I figured he probably won't show more color until it grows out more.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'm afraid to move the dominant fish because the #2 is kind of a jerk but the #1 keeps him in line. I figured he probably won't show more color until it grows out more.

That's the other head ache with all male tanks. You can have a dominate fish that is just a terror, and you remove him, and the #2 is even worse. If the dominate is already playing that referee role id leave it because that is what you want. Ideally ever fish in an overstocked all male tank will show, but it takes time.

Back
Top Bottom