Is this a male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It sure if this is a male, what do you think?

Attachments

• image-714659487.jpg
    image-714659487.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 79
There's no real way to tell with yellow labs just by looking at them imo, its always just a guess :/ Best way is to vent :)

kelbaker79 said:
There's no real way to tell with yellow labs just by looking at them imo, its always just a guess :/ Best way is to vent :)

+ 1 venting and behaviour seem to be the only ways.Black on the various fins is present in both males and females.The anal fin also can be rounded or more pointy in both sexes.

Having yellow labs there is a way it's not like a 100% but the yellow lab males have bottom black fins and the females don't that's a better way to tell !!

Italy592 said:
Having yellow labs there is a way it's not like a 100% but the yellow lab males have bottom black fins and the females don't that's a better way to tell !!

Some of my females have black though too, that's why I say its kind of a guess? That's just my experience anyway :)

Yeah they do but very light black compared too the males and the males dorsal fins are all black the females are only some what black. I know this because I breed yellow labs my I had to batches of fry within 3 months I'm nt trying to say I know everything but i know alot about them from personnel experience!!

...the males dorsal fins are all black the females are only some what black...

Would this mouthbrooding female's dorsal fin be considered black or somewhat black? :oops:

img_1699018_0_6c8a27c2ae26204965d5246aded8142f.jpg

Yeah well also I heard some males sometimes holds the eggs I know very Weird !!!!

It's hard to say.

Right off the bat, I would say female based upon lacking the black on the pec fins. However, I do see white coloring on re throat and other places, which points to crossbreeding. If that's the case, it could be a male with poor colors...

Best way is to vent :)

Definately agree with this.

Yellow lab fin markings even among males can vary depending on the quality of their stock, also high quality females can have better coloration and fin markings than mediocre males.

Back
Top Bottom