Is this an Apistogramma Cacatuoides juvenile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for pointing it out in more detail. I'm new to Apistos and I very much would like to learn more. Those ppl at Petsmart got the labeling of this fish way wrong. It's okay, I still like my Apisto and it's pretty intriguing to know its a wild strain.

I found this interesting web page that points out distinctive markings of the various sub species of Apistos. Modern Tropical Fish Bytes

Ah yes, Mike Wise is the countries expert on Apistos and other S.A. dwarves, I learned a lot from him.

Hey guys... just wanted to give an update. My Apisto actually developed some colors after all. Nothing crazy like some of the Apistos out there but hey, there's some yellow! And WOW, I'm diggin the greenish/blue iridescence! Here's some before and after shots.

BEFORE:
7072873881_d8e422b0ae_b.jpg

AFTER:
7072880955_5b630afcee_c.jpg

Brian_Nano12g said:
Hey guys... just wanted to give an update. My Apisto actually developed some colors after all. Nothing crazy like some of the Apistos out there but hey, there's some yellow! And WOW, I'm diggin the greenish/blue iridescence! Here's some before and after shots.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Wow! Gorgeous!! I don't mean to go off topic, but what kind of substrate do you have? It looks awesome with that algea!

Austin.b said:
Wow! Gorgeous!! I don't mean to go off topic, but what kind of substrate do you have? It looks awesome with that algea!

Its just some standard black gravel aged a few years. Lol. In the 'before' pic you can see the algae growth on the rock. Its weird because I only got this particular type of algae (don't know the name) when I moved to another state. Must be in the tap. I think its cool too because it blankets everything like those moss balls you buy at the LFS. It has a nice even green color and IMO looks fine on the rocks, DW, and back wall. Only thing I hate is that it grows quite rapidly on the glass and plant leaves. I can deal with the glass during my weakly maintenance. But the plants are another story.

Here's a pic of how the algae looks throughout the tank. I have a feeling the actinic 50\50's aren't helping. I plan on changing the PC bulbs soon to 6500k and 10000k.

ForumRunner_20120412_231720.jpg

Brian_Nano12g said:
Its just some standard black gravel aged a few years. Lol. In the 'before' pic you can see the algae growth on the rock. Its weird because I only got this particular type of algae (don't know the name) when I moved to another state. Must be in the tap. I think its cool too because it blankets everything like those moss balls you buy at the LFS. It has a nice even green color and IMO looks fine on the rocks, DW, and back wall. Only thing I hate is that it grows quite rapidly on the glass and plant leaves. I can deal with the glass during my weakly maintenance. But the plants are another story.

Here's a pic of how the algae looks throughout the tank. I have a feeling the actinic 50\50's aren't helping. I plan on changing the PC bulbs soon to 6500k and 10000k.

Oh ok, haha that's so cool! I wish I had designer algea! Lol :)

It is cladophora, the same algae as Marimo/ moss balls. Very nice and not nearly as invasive as other algae, from what I've noticed it may actually help combat other algae by sucking up excess nutrients itself. At one time I had a 40 breeder in which every piece of wood was covered in it, I should have never sold the wood :(

Austin.b said:
Oh ok, haha that's so cool! I wish I had designer algea! Lol :)

Haha.. "designer algae"... Now that's something I can market. Thanks for the compliment in the tank too! :)

Awesome tank. I have a 55 gallon Malawi tank that I want a natural look for. I'd like to get algae growing on the Holey Rock. I purchased a Marimo Moss ball to see if that might help. I have got some brown algae and a little green, but my Mbunas don't let much of it grow. Maybe I will try a 50/50 actinic bulb. I currently have a T8 8000K full sunlight bulb.

-rotorhead22

Gillie said:
It is cladophora, the same algae as Marimo/ moss balls. Very nice and not nearly as invasive as other algae, from what I've noticed it may actually help combat other algae by sucking up excess nutrients itself. At one time I had a 40 breeder in which every piece of wood was covered in it, I should have never sold the wood :(

Wow.. Yeah I really thought it looks like cladophora. It just has that smooth even color and green carpet texture that's characteristic of marimo moss balls. Im really diggin it. I considered combating the algae because it's annoyingly on the leaves of my swords and anubias. But I just don't know a safe way to do it without killing it off on the DW, back wall, and rocks.

I even stopped dosing with Excel because I've read that people use it to not only add in organic carbon for plant ferts but to control algae too. You know if excel is still okay to use?

I also have a feeling my 50/50 actinics are promoting the algae growth. My other two tanks are using regular LED lighting and they don't get this algae.

Here's a better pic... The cladophora looks good for the most part. Just not on the plants.. Lol

image-3105006273.jpg

Back
Top Bottom