Is this bloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
The dominant peacock in my tank suddenly went into hiding about a week ago and the subdominant became boss. I tried hand feeding the previously dominant cobwe which sort of worked, but today he came out of his rock and dropped.

First, is this bloat? If so, why doesn't everybody in the tank have it?
Second, what could I have done to prevent this once I saw him hiding?

This is the second time I've lost a peacock because I didn't realize they were sick until too late. :(

Attachments

• image-1149896961.jpg
    image-1149896961.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 63
He doesn't look bloated to me. If you do notice bloating skip a day of feeding if it doesn't go away try feeding peas. It could happen to just him if he got more food for the others.

The first time you notice the fish stopped eating should be a alert to a digestive problem. Fish suffering from Bloat will become reclusive and refuse or will mouth and spit foods. Fish that die from Bloat rarely actually become bloated.

What are you feeding? Poor diet and stress and the two number one causes for digestive issues.

New Life Spectrum cichlid formula.
There were no real changes in the tank that make the dominant guy stressed. Since then I've added a few goby cichlids, but he was already in hiding.

A few weeks ago one of my juvenile caudopunks, who had also been completely fine - the boss in his side if the tank (there's a partition) - died without warming. In his case he didn't hide for a week. Maybe a day.

Could these incidences be related?

If there was a bad mineral in my rocks, could that kill my fish one at a time? I've checked for copper.

So, what should be done with a fish who suddenly becomes reclusive?

Back
Top Bottom